Ceiling Fan remote hack

Posted on
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:54 am
dnomode offline

Ceiling Fan remote hack

Hello everyone,

I have a ceiling fan that is not supported by the Insteon FanLinc. Several years ago (before the FanLinc) I think I saw someone on this forum hack a ceiling fan remote with contact closers and a Smartenit EZIO controller or something similar that would push the Hi Med low off buttons on the remote?

Do any of you have any information you can please share so I can do something like this. I’m sure I can figure out the programming part, however I’m not sure how to wire things up and what type of contact closers to use. Also the
Smartenit EZIO devices are pretty old. Is there a better product that I can use to accomplish this?

If it does exist, does anyone know the link to that post?

Thanks
Edmond

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:19 am
kw123 offline

Re: Ceiling Fan remote hack

I have 2 handheld controllers with an added esp chip and opto couplers to “press” the buttons. All fits into the remote. Running with the arduino plugin. Posted in the arduino plugin thread

But need to know how to solder.

Posted on
Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:33 am
roussell offline

I have 2 handheld controllers with an added esp chip and opto couplers to “press” the buttons.

Nice idea! I never thought about embedding the ESP directly into the remotes. are your remotes powered by 2 AA/AAA batteries? If so I guess you didn't have to worry about dropping the remote power to the 3.3vdc needed by the ESP or did you use a regulator to be safe? I need to replace two fans, and they all include remotes these days it seems. I hated to buy the fans we want, just to rip out the remote "guts" to replace with Insteon.

Terry

Posted on
Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:21 pm
kw123 offline

Have used a usb cable to a 5 v usb charger.

Posted on
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:37 am
dnomode offline

I have 2 handheld controllers with an added esp chip and opto couplers to “press” the buttons. All fits into the remote. Running with the arduino plugin. Posted in the arduino plugin thread

But need to know how to solder.

Hello Karl,

I saw your post and that would work great.

The soldering may be an issue for me. I haven't soldered in a long time.

Attached are pictures of the inside of my remote. How do I test the remote so I know where to attach the wires from the opto couplers and the ground?

Thanks for your help
Edmond
Attachments
IMG_2271.jpeg
IMG_2271.jpeg (219.74 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
IMG_2270.jpeg
IMG_2270.jpeg (253.18 KiB) Viewed 4124 times

Posted on
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:52 am
kw123 offline

That is a piece for the museum. If you ever want to throw it away.. don’t, I buy it

I guess you need to check the vintages at the the little buttons. When it is open an when you press it

The opto coupler outputs should be connected with the right polarity to the switches. Or you use a relay board with n relays ~$5 for 4)... a little bigger

Posted on
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:21 pm
dnomode offline

Posted on
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:22 pm
kw123 offline

Yes

Posted on
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:44 pm
dnomode offline

Awesome.

How do I figure out where my different solder points are on the circuit board?

Thanks

Posted on
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:24 pm
dnomode offline

Karl,

I think Im going to try going the OPTO way.

So my remote is different then the one you used. Will it matter what type of opto coupler I use and does the resistance of the resistors change depending on the remote control?

I was thinking about going with these. Are they what I'll need? Or will it vary depending on my remote?

OPTO Coupler https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S4YRMB4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1THAZDOWP300U&psc=1

Resistors https://www.amazon.com/Projects-25EP514470R-470-Resistors-Pack/dp/B01F06T568/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1537924768&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=resistor+470+ohm&psc=1

Thanks
Edmond

Posted on
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:33 pm
kw123 offline

It depends on the polarity of the board

Is + or - common?

If - is common then this will work fine. If + is common it’s a bit more complicated.

Karl.

Page 1 of 1