Homebridge for HomeKit hack

Posted on
Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:47 am
autolog offline

Re: Homebridge for HomeKit hack

durosity wrote:
Hmm.. so i've updated to the latest version but i've got an odd issue where when adding to the HomeKit app on my iPhone i'm getting an error stating:

"Adding Failed: Could not connect to the accessory"

I am getting the same problem :(

It would be useful if there was some way in Indigo to identify devices that you want to allow Siri to control - it would cut the list down a bit :)

Posted on
Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:50 am
durosity offline

Ive decided I'm going to duplicate my DB then delete 20 devices at a time until it works, then work out which one of those is causing the issue, then rinse and repeat until it's working. Hopefully I'll see a pattern emerge that I can report on. If only I wasn't stuck at stupid work :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:55 am
rehafer offline

I'm getting similar "cannot connect" messages from MyHomeTouch. When I try the iDevices app, I also get a Pairing failed, device may not be in pairing mode message. I'm flummoxed.

Posted on
Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:53 pm
petematheson offline

Any news on external access for this? I can only get it working internally. Or do we need to wait for the new Apple TV for that to work?

Posted on
Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:46 pm
durosity offline

Homebridge for HomeKit hack

It requires an Apple TV 3, and there's some bugs which seems to cause issues for some people: https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge/issues/256

(my hope is these issues will be squashed with the new tvOS.. but experience tells me not to get my hopes up)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:51 pm
dgarozzo offline

webdeck wrote:
dgarozzo wrote:
Webdeck/Mike,

I'm stuck trying to add actions. I checked my code in here: https://github.com/dgarozzo/homebridge/. Can you have a look? Maybe you can tell what I've done wrong. When I go to connect from my iPhone to Homebridge, it tells me that my "device" doesn't conform to Homekit. Right now, I have the lines commented out that are responsible for adding the action, so you won't see the problem until you uncomment those lines.

The plan was to make actions the same as switches that you can "turn on (or off)" to execute the action.

I don't know for sure, but if I had to guess, HomeKit doesn't like the concept of a "write-only" switch. Try giving it read permission and always returning 0 as the value.

-Mike

I think you hit the nail on the head. Thanks!

Your thoughts on pushing this version to "prod"?

Posted on
Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:27 pm
rehafer offline

I received the iDevices Switch via Post; it does respond remotely using my Apple TV 3.
Unfortunately, I'm still stuck on the Homebridge not paring problem reported earlier so I can't tell how the Switch effects remote connection when used along side Homebridge. I get the feeling I'm missing something really simple; can anybody point me to a good "npm for dummies" guide?

Posted on
Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:47 pm
webdeck offline

dgarozzo wrote:
webdeck wrote:
dgarozzo wrote:
Webdeck/Mike,

I'm stuck trying to add actions. I checked my code in here: https://github.com/dgarozzo/homebridge/. Can you have a look? Maybe you can tell what I've done wrong. When I go to connect from my iPhone to Homebridge, it tells me that my "device" doesn't conform to Homekit. Right now, I have the lines commented out that are responsible for adding the action, so you won't see the problem until you uncomment those lines.

The plan was to make actions the same as switches that you can "turn on (or off)" to execute the action.

I don't know for sure, but if I had to guess, HomeKit doesn't like the concept of a "write-only" switch. Try giving it read permission and always returning 0 as the value.

-Mike

Nick Farina, the owner of the Homebridge project, has announced a major change. He's proposing to split off all of the platforms out of his project, to be picked up by other maintainers. Folks would need to install Homebridge first, then install any platforms they want to use from separate repositories.

I'll need to revamp the Indigo.js platform module to work in this new system, and then I'll wind up hosting it in my own repository. I don't know the timeline for that change, but it sounds soon. Details are here: https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge/pull/293. So I would say hold off until that's happened, and then I'll be able to make changes directly without having to wait for pull requests to be approved.

-Mike

Posted on
Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:49 am
dgarozzo offline

webdeck wrote:
dgarozzo wrote:
webdeck wrote:
dgarozzo wrote:
Webdeck/Mike,

-Mike

Nick Farina, the owner of the Homebridge project, has announced a major change. He's proposing to split off all of the platforms out of his project, to be picked up by other maintainers. Folks would need to install Homebridge first, then install any platforms they want to use from separate repositories.

I'll need to revamp the Indigo.js platform module to work in this new system, and then I'll wind up hosting it in my own repository. I don't know the timeline for that change, but it sounds soon. Details are here: https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge/pull/293. So I would say hold off until that's happened, and then I'll be able to make changes directly without having to wait for pull requests to be approved.

-Mike

Yeah, I read that yesterday. I committed my changes to my repo this morning after a successful test of actions. If you want to take it, feel free.

Now I need to figure out if there is a way to make actions into scenes instead of switches.

Posted on
Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:47 am
rycardo offline

It would be useful if there was some way in Indigo to identify devices that you want to allow Siri to control - it would cut the list down a bit

I agree. Would it be appropriate to add an array of devices to exclude (or include) to the config.json file? Then only those devices not found in the exclude array would be imported.

Posted on
Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:26 pm
durosity offline

I think it'd make more sense to specifically add devices you want picked up. I certainly have more I want to exclude than include!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:11 pm
howartp offline

Or possibly even wildcards.

*light*
*socket*
*curtain*

Posted on
Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:15 pm
dgarozzo offline

I was thinking about adding something to the name of the devices as an indicator. For example "(HB)" to make it HomeBridge enabled. Then in HomeBridge, code it to remove (HB) from the name so it is identified correctly. Or, could make it work the other way, and add "(noHB)" and HomeBridge would then exclude items with those names.

Posted on
Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:18 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Since I haven't actually tried any of this yet, I'm unfamiliar with the process. But the Global Property Manager plugin will allow you to add generic properties to any device, so you could add a property that would indicate if it's a device you want controlled by HB. Not sure how it would get used though since I don't know the process.

Alternately, you could examine the remote display property of any device and only add those that the user has specified to view/control remotely - this is what Indigo Touch uses.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:44 am
autolog offline

jay (support) wrote:
Since I haven't actually tried any of this yet, I'm unfamiliar with the process. But the Global Property Manager plugin will allow you to add generic properties to any device, so you could add a property that would indicate if it's a device you want controlled by HB. Not sure how it would get used though since I don't know the process.

Alternately, you could examine the remote display property of any device and only add those that the user has specified to view/control remotely - this is what Indigo Touch uses.

I think the list of devices is being obtained from the REST API. IS there a way that the list returned by the REST API could be qualified using a value set using the Global Property Manager e.g. setting 'Homebridge' to true or false?

Page 6 of 10 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10