running 2 indigo instances on the same mac

Posted on
Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:14 am
kw123 offline

is it somehow possible to have 2 indigo instances running on the same mac? One for testing one for production or do you need physically 2 boxes?

Posted on
Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:21 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: running 2 indigo instances on the same mac

You'd have to run the other copy of the Mac OS in VM, with something like VMWare Fusion or Parallels. So I think it would be possible, but not as simple as just launching another version of Indigo.

Posted on
Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:04 pm
DaveL17 offline

What I do (I hope it doesn't break the TOS!) is I develop against sample DB and when I'm ready to test, install to my production server.

This allows me to work on my Macbook when I'm not home, and also not break my real environment (too often...)

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:46 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: running 2 indigo instances on the same mac

is it somehow possible to have 2 indigo instances running on the same mac? One for testing one for production or do you need physically 2 boxes?

Come on, live a little and go with one system! ;-) j/k I actually make most of my plugin modifications in my live system -- it is good encouragement not to !@#$%^ up! :-)

You'd have to run the other copy of the Mac OS in VM, with something like VMWare Fusion or Parallels. So I think it would be possible, but not as simple as just launching another version of Indigo.

However, this is how I do my HousePad development (with explicit permission from Indigo Domotics because this would, technically, break your license agreement). I prefer VM Fusion after having used both Fusion and Parallels but from a practical standpoint, they are equal and it is just personal preference.

I just use the demo database and load up additional plugins, devices, whatever against it. Even though you don't have physical devices, you can simulate changes by triggering things from the GUI, Action Groups, Control Pages, etc.

Using the VM is nice too because you can just pause it in place and resume later right where you left off. Also, if you utilize the snapshot feature you can revert back to a known spot if you really hose things up! ;-)

Adam

Page 1 of 1