Control page for Venstar 1 day programmable thermostat

Posted on
Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:42 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

jholcomb wrote:
Additionally, I cannot get the Heat Setpoint to report its status (always shows 0, even when in Heat mode). The control looks the same as the Cool Setpoint device state that works fine (except it is linked to Heat Setpoint).

Via the Indigo main window change the thermostat mode to Auto, then press the Refresh All button at the bottom-right of the window. The problem is the INSTEON thermostat won't send both SETPOINT values to Indigo unless the mode is set to AUTO. Once Indigo has a better idea as to what both SETPOINT values are, it can then increment/decrement them both even if the mode is not AUTO.

jholcomb wrote:
Should both the set points be changed simultaneously? Seems like you would only want to change the cool setpoint when cooling (and heat setpoint when heating)

Possibly. I leave my thermostat in AUTO mode about 99% of the time, so I hadn't tried to make the COOL or HEAT modes smarter. You could do it by changing the action to a single Execute AppleScript action that checks the mode to determine what should happen, I think. The device has an attribute hvac mode which you will check for either heatOn, coolOn, or heatCoolOn (which is auto). You can then increment/decrement by changing the heat setpoint and cool setpoint attributes.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:04 pm
jholcomb offline

(No subject)

I did a refresh all from Indigo on the device as you suggested, but it only seems to be a temporary fix. If I change the heat setpoint from the thermostat itself, it does not change on the iPhone control page unless I go into Indigo and hit refresh first.

Do I have to go into Indigo each time someone changes the thermostat setpoints for the iPhone to have the correct values?

Posted on
Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:34 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

jholcomb wrote:
Do I have to go into Indigo each time someone changes the thermostat setpoints for the iPhone to have the correct values?

No, it should update the HEAT setpoint after 10 or 15 minutes, as long as your current Venstar mode is HEAT or AUTO and not COOL. It cannot update instantaneously because the INSTEON adapter does not broadcast out changes automatically. Instead, Indigo polls it every several minutes.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:37 pm
jholcomb offline

(No subject)

because the INSTEON adapter does not broadcast out changes automatically

Is this by design or typical with most INSTEON products? Is there a way to adjust the polling interval?

No being overly critical here...Just trying to match my expectations of a $320 investment in two of these Venstar thermostats with limitations of the device.

Posted on
Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:41 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

jholcomb wrote:
Is this by design or typical with most INSTEON products?

Smarthome would have to answer that one, but I imagine it is a limitation in the first generation of the adapter. During the beta testing process I put in a request to have it broadcast out changes as they occur, but that didn't make it into the hardware that shipped. Several INSTEON modules broadcast out changes as they occur (SwitchLinc, KeypadLinc), but some do not (INSTEON Thermo Adapter, OutletLinc).

jholcomb wrote:
Is there a way to adjust the polling interval?

Yes, double-click the Device in Indigo and you can adjust the polling interval. You can do it every couple of minutes if you would like, but it will cause additional INSTEON traffic which might slow down another operation if it happens to overlap.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:50 pm
jholcomb offline

(No subject)

During the beta testing process I put in a request to have it broadcast out changes as they occur, but that didn't make it into the hardware that shipped

Is that something that could be addressed via future firmware update?

Posted on
Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:53 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

jholcomb wrote:
Is that something that could be addressed via future firmware update?

I do not believe the firmware in the adapter is field (end user) upgradeable.

Matt

Posted on
Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:28 pm
Cosmuk offline

(No subject)

Hi Matt,
Is Indigo able to recognize any remote sensor's that
Venstar offers?
I need to monitor a 3 zone heat pump system.

Thanks
Bob

i.e. (ACC0401)
http://www.venstar.com/Thermostats/ACC0401/

Posted on
Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:33 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Hi Bob,

Unfortunately, the INSTEON Thermostat Adapter only returns the main Venstar thermostat (and humidity).

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:57 pm
malencar offline

Here's Mine

Here's mine:

Image[/img]

BTW, yes, that is in Celsius.

Posted on
Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:53 am
GeneArch offline

Re: Control page for Venstar 1 day programmable thermostat

support wrote:
I'll share mine. It is very simple, but probably a good place to start:

Regards,
Matt

Matt,

Will this still work with 4.0?

Posted on
Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:07 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

GeneArch wrote:

Yes, although once we get the thermostat UI implemented in the iPhone application it won't be needed (unless you want a custom UI for controlling your thermo).

Posted on
Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:16 am
GeneArch offline

support wrote:
GeneArch wrote:

Yes, although once we get the thermostat UI implemented in the iPhone application it won't be needed (unless you want a custom UI for controlling your thermo).

Thanks.. I'll wait for the iPhone app.