Dimming problem ...

Posted on
Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:52 pm
rlesperance offline

Dimming problem ...

Hello,

I recently discovered that one of my LM465 X10 module did not answer to an Indigo schedule. Indigo is running on an iMac Intel (2019) and commands are passed through the CM11A X10 interface.

.At first, I thought that the module was defective. After testing many of them, I realized that many (not to say most) didn't answer Indigo's dimming command. The problem occurs with old or brand new modules. I am able to dim them without a glitch from any wall transmitter.

That must have been going on for a while or since an Indigo update. I don't check schedules, most of them occurring at night, when we are asleep or early in the morning.

Could that be a simple setup case ? Some X10 Pro geek has a clue about my problem ?

Robert

Posted on
Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:46 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Dimming problem ...

This is likely a signal noise issue so you'll want to start with that. Note that your wall transmitter (which is working) will have a different signal path so just because it works doesn't mean you don't have signal issues.

Further note that we haven't made any changes to the X10 interface code in a decade, so it's not that.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:13 pm
rlesperance offline

Yesterday, I changed the LM465 module of that circuit and the communication went through but was not dimming. This morning, I turned the mains switch in the panel and the dimming came back. As you said, the problem seems to be a signal issue but seems to also be related to other causes. I will have to pay attention to the possible signal problem .

I have another problem. I tried to move the CM11A interface to another wall outlet a few feet away of the first one in the same room and wired to the same breaker. In the first outlet, I am able to control a light in the same room and from the other outlet I cannot. If the signal is using the same load, why would it behave differently from one outlet to the other ?

Posted on
Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:36 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm not sure what exactly you are asking, but Indigo doesn't send X10 commands directly of course. It just sends basic serial commands to the CM11 or CM15 which in turn sends out the X10 commands. Indigo has no control other than the simple X10 commands it sends the CM11/CM15. Indigo isn't calculating how the command is modulated onto the power line or anything, it just tells the CM11/CM15 something like "A1 DIM". How Indigo sends those serial commands specifically has not change in over a decade.

Posted on
Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:08 pm
rlesperance offline

Hello Matt.

Since my problem only occurs when commands are sent from Indigo, I thought that another X10 user would have an idea or could help. I undestand that it's not specifically an Indigo problem but since it's in the loop of my problem, any related source of information could ne helpful.

Thanks for dropping in.

Posted on
Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:23 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Could very well be that your CM11A is going bad.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Page 1 of 1