X10 and Big Sur ....

Posted on
Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:43 am
rlesperance offline

X10 and Big Sur ....

I have upgraded to Big Sur. Not really «sure» it was a good idea.

My iMac is connected to the CM11A through the TripLite USA-19HS Keyspan adapter. When trying to connect to the interface in Indigo, I now see a new URT1 port. I was use to a USB1 (I don't recal the exact name, it's not available anymore) type of port. Using that new URT1 port does not seem to get me no where.

Any idea to get me back up and running Indigo ?
Attachments
Indigo interface window.jpg
Indigo interface window.jpg (41.17 KiB) Viewed 2281 times

Posted on
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:59 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: X10 and Big Sur ....

You'll need to find out if TripLite has drivers for Big Sur.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:43 pm
rlesperance offline

As usual, Tripp Lite's device reliability over OS upgrades is a problem.

Do you have any clue what other Big Sur serial adapter really works with X10 and Indigo ?

I have eared of a StarTech serial adapter (https://www.startech.com/en-us/cards-adapters/icusb232c) that seems to be BigSur compatible right out of the box.

Any helpful comments on this quest ?

Posted on
Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:33 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Honestly, I've not had any occasion to use a usb to serial adapter in many years. You might see if you can find one that uses the FTDI chipset since those drivers are built-in to macOS.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:04 pm
rlesperance offline

Thanks.

I understand that OS 11.6 has built-in serial drivers compatible with the FTDI chipset. So any serial adapter that can handle the FTDI chipset would be compatible with the CM11A X10 interface. Is that correct ?

Is that the only chipset compatibly that I should looking for ?
Are there any other tech specs to precise when selecting a such serial device ?
Would a USB-C adapter have any added value over a USB-A adapter ?

Posted on
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:18 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I really don't know the answer to those questions. I'd just search for USB to serial adapters that claim to have Big Sur driver compatibility. Historically, the Keyspan (Tripp Lite) adapters have had pretty good drivers. A quick search showed they have a beta driver for Big Sur. I guess that didn't work?

On the serial side I don't think you'll have any compatibility issues with the CM11 (no matter what adapter you choose), as long as the port connection is correct (DB-9 I think?).

Posted on
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:42 pm
rlesperance offline

Tripp Lite's driver claims reliability for 11.4, not 11.6. Testing has proven it impossible to get it working. I cannot even launch the driver's installer. Tripp Lite said being aware of the problem and referred me to Apple. Apple troubleshooted the problem extensively with me this morning and was not able to solve it.

Even if Tripp Lite has had drivers over time, there have been alot of setup, delays or troubleshooting with installations.

My best path is now to find a serial adapter that is compatible with OS X right out-of-the-box .. meaning that it does not require any driver. If what I understand about the FTDI chipsset is correct, any serial adapter that can handle the FTDI chipset would be compatible with the CM11A X10 interface. or at least with Big Sur. Is that correct ?

Posted on
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:07 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

rlesperance wrote:
If what I understand about the FTDI chipsset is correct, any serial adapter that can handle the FTDI chipset would be compatible with the CM11A X10 interface. or at least with Big Sur. Is that correct ?

I believe so, but cannot guarantee it.

Posted on
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:04 pm
rlesperance offline

Thanks. Once this new set up is completed, I will get back to you in regard to my IS problem.

Page 1 of 1