X10 & HomeKit ?

Posted on
Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:28 pm
durosity offline

Re: X10 & HomeKit ?

sudo xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine /Library/Application\ Support/Perceptive\ Automation/Indigo\ 7.4/Plugins (put this into the command prompt)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:41 pm
rlesperance offline

Sorry durosity. Missed your message. Thanks for your help.

I was finally able to get the HomeKit Server to be recognized in OS X's Security system preferences. It has loaded and is running. I also found the 8 digit code in Indigo and was able to create one device.

I will play around and see if it has, for me, an added value to Indigo itself.

Posted on
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:27 pm
rlesperance offline

This HomeKit bridge is a great add-on to Indigo.

As far as I was able to get it working yesterday, I was able to add one Indigo device to the Home app. My hub is an Apple TV. I was able to open, dim and close a light in my office from the Home app ... and it's fast. It works great from the iOS app and, mostly, with Siri. I can voice command to Indigo, just like that. Wow, really incredible !

I will keep this thread posted. Thanks !

Posted on
Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:02 pm
rlesperance offline

I see a room called HomeKit Server in the Home app.

Is that a mistake I made when configuring ? No delete without knowing. I want to avoid destroying what I have configured yet. I suspect that this is an initial error when creating the first room.

Posted on
Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:46 pm
durosity offline

Should be fine to delete, deleting a room doesn’t directly affect anything from HKB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:43 pm
rlesperance offline

Thanks ... That's what I think also.

Posted on
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:31 am
rlesperance offline

First, just to follow up about deleting the HomeKit Server (HKS) room in the Home app ... it had no consequence.

In Indigo, all my devices are named referring to the room it's associated with (ex: Kitchen - Table lamp). When creating a device in the HKS UI, the alias keeps the same name but when imported to the Home app, it looses the room reference (thus, Kitchen - Table lamp changes to - Table lamp). I am then obliged to modify all the names of the alias devices in the Home app.

Is that the result of a bad naming strategy or is everybody having the same problem ?
Last edited by rlesperance on Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:03 am
durosity offline

Is it assigned to a room called Kitchen?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:16 pm
rlesperance offline

Yes.

Posted on
Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:52 pm
siclark offline

It works if you don’t have the hyphen. Yes HomeKit still renames it but then it means you can refer to the table lamp in the kitchen. Not the kitchen table lamp in the kitchen.

Posted on
Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:36 pm
rlesperance offline

In Indigo, you cannot relate a device to a room other than by including the room's name in the name of the device. Then, to classify the devices by room, I didn't find any other way than beginning their name with the room's name.

Posted on
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:21 am
rlesperance offline

I want to thank Colorado4Wheeler (C4W) so much for this great piece of software. Allowing to speak, from Apple's Home app, a X10 command with the Siri integration, is a miracle. As of now, it's quick, accurate and simple. I will see later if adding more devices and actions keeps the Siri commands as simple as it actually is. The HKB UI could be rounded and polished a bit, but, nevertheless, once mirrored in the Home app, to me, it's incredible.

It would have been better, for all of us long time users of the X10 legacy protocol, if that integration have been made by the Indigo team. That would have assured a longer life to that integration, but I understand that it is not actually possible.

I probably ear in advance that X10 is a dead protocol. I suspect that X10 is probably the most used one as of now, and that, while many new ones are adding up, they also have their limits and time as not yet proven their long lasting life. While X10 isn't new and shiny, it has required from all it's users big investment in order to integrate it into their home. In fact, that's my case with a system with more than 100 devices using as much different addresses.

So, for me, having a well establish protocol like X10 that works flawlessly, I prefer to stick with it than having to change everything while not being sure that the new system will support as many devices, it will work as well and, mostly, it will still be supported for many years to come.

That being said, I applaud and thank so much C4W for bringing X10 to the Home app and into the light of the new era of home automation.

Posted on
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:08 am
durosity offline

I’d suggest having a server per room that you want to publish devices for, and in the setup don’t name them Kitchen - Main Light, just call it Main Light. I find this way works much better in that you don’t have to rename things, and it’s also a lot easier to identify issues if you have problems with one device causing HKB to crash. It’s also a bit more responsive because of the way HomeKit polls bridges for data, so if you have a lot of devices to publish (I have about 150 real and virtual ones via it) it’s a lot quicker to open the home app.

And yes C4W has done a spectacular job with it. It’s just a shame he’s moving to a different platform. Personally I feel we need to chain him up in Jay’s basement but alas that seems to break some kinda law, so I’m hopeful someone else will be able to take it on. I wish I had the ability to do so as I have lots of ideas for it, but alas I’ve ceased trying to learn python.. (I keep learning a bit.. get so far with it.. then something comes up in life that takes me away from it and by the time I can get back to it I basically have to start from the beginning again.. it’s rather demoralising!)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:31 am
rlesperance offline

Thanks durosity
Last edited by rlesperance on Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:02 pm
rlesperance offline

Thanks durosity,

What does «having a server per room» mean ? How do I do that ?

As for the HomeKit bridge, what would that mean for the Indigo team to take over the work ? Isn't that a good investment for them ? I think that for Indigo to be accessible from the Home app is a great advantage.