IndigoServer crashing ...

Posted on
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:03 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: IndigoServer crashing ...

rlesperance wrote:
More than all the driver problem, the CM11A and the Keyspan adapter is not a possible way to migrate to Catalina.

The CM11 with a USB to serial adapter on Catalina should work. You'll need an adapter that is compatible with Catalina. I believe the Keyspan adapters work on Catalina, although the particular model you have may not. Perhaps I'm wrong on that?

Posted on
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:42 am
rlesperance offline

The Keyspan Serial Assistant app is not 64 bits and should, thus, not be compatible with Catalina. It's probably the same thing for some/all other hidden driver/extensions/files included by the Keyspan software installer.

By the way, I tried many times to install the Keyspan USA-19 driver as you suggested and never succeeded. I am able to install the USA-28X driver v2.6.4 that you can find here.

Am I correct then to say that the CM15A and your CM15A driver are compatible will Catalina ?

Posted on
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:43 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

You don't need the Keyspan Serial Assistant (I call it the Keyspan Serial Assassin because historically it has been buggy) – just the driver install. Based on this forum thread it works fine on Catalina (and thus the driver itself is 64 bit).
Keyspan Serial Assistant.app doesn't work but the driver still does: KeyspanUSAdriver.kext 2.6 Copyright © 2000-2009 Keyspan (August 12, 2009). The kext comes from a package named "Mac OS X 10.6.x to 10.8.x_v2.6.4.pkg" or "keyspanUSAdrvr.pkg" The installers say they support the following devices (but they might also support others):
One Port DB9: USA-19HS
Two Port Din8: USA-28XG
Four Port: USA-49WG
Other: UPR-112G
...I have an old Keyspan USA-28X two port serial adapter. I tested the serial adapter and kext with Serial.app in macOS Catalina 10.15.
I just installed Catalina and then installed usa-19hs-driver-mac-os-x-10.12-beta and with the serial client I normally use which is ZOC, it works fine. I tested it against a Cisco switch with no issues. I also got a pop-up on install stating it would not work in future versions of MacOS which is weird as I thought if something works in Catalina, you are safe.

Our CM15 driver should work with Catalina using these steps but has not been tested by us.

Posted on
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:52 am
rlesperance offline

Thanks Matt.

As Indigo doesn't suggest the CM11A anymore with X10 and that the CM15A is, wouldn't it be a good idea for the support of old Indigo customer and the support of this always available technology, that those tests be made ? How complicated is that ?

Wouldn't that be a great idea for many of us still relying on this technology ?

Posted on
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:02 am
rlesperance offline

The CM15A is newer, more easily found on the web and works with Catalina. Then, I don't understand the idea of still trying to work with the CM11A when this device requires so many add-on (Keyspan Adapter, Keyspan driver, Serial cable), work-arounds (extracting the driver) and considering that there isn't any support by TrippLite ?

Posted on
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:56 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I guess my point is that from what I'm reading your CM11 and Keyspan adapter should work with Catalina so why switch? If you want to use the CM15 then that is fine, I just don't see that it is necessary based on the other forum discussion I found. Installing Indigo's CM15 driver is somewhat of a pain as well (see the steps on the forum post I linked to above). Unfortunately with Catalina driver installation has become more cumbersome because of all the security hurdles they've added.

Posted on
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:18 pm
rlesperance offline

Except for all the interface error I am getting and that at some point the CM11A requires me to reset the interface. once inn a while. Not speaking of that TripLite does not support the Keyspan adapter anymore ... and that at some point very soon the Keyspan adapter with stop working while the CM15A does not rely on the Keyspan adapter.

What could be the problem with the CM15A if the driver is already included into Indigo like in v7.4 ?

Posted on
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:12 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

So TripLite told you they will not be developing supporting the Keyspan drivers any more? That is surprising. Again, I'm not talking about the optional Keyspan Serial Assistant – that isn't required and I've recommended against using it for over a decade (literally). I'm just talking about the driver install, which currently does work on Catalina based on other reports. I'm referring to the driver link on this page, which currently has this download link. It is version 4.0.

Indigo 7.4 does NOT include the CM15 driver, as I mentioned above. We no longer include any drivers with Indigo's install. You can use download the older version (again in the steps I linked to above) of Indigo to have it install the driver. But it requires jumping through security hurdles on Catalina. As I've said, it it were me I'd spend more time making sure you have the most recent version of the Keyspan driver installed, which I believe will work on Catalina (and my hunch is will continue to work on future versions of macOS).

Posted on
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:52 pm
rlesperance offline

Thanks Matt ... What is the CM15A option that I see in Indigo 7.4 ? Isn't that the CM15A driver ?
Attachments
CM15A option.jpg
CM15A option.jpg (257.8 KiB) Viewed 7017 times

Posted on
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:55 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

No, that popup is telling Indigo what type of interface you have. It isn't related to drivers at all. Indigo does support the CM15 but no longer includes the driver for it.

Posted on
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:37 pm
rlesperance offline

I will see for the CM15A later.

I have the Keyspan Adapter USA-28, not the USA-19. TripLite confirmed that «: «The USA-28 adapters were discontinued several years ago. Unfortunately we do not have a driver for that unit that supports MAC OS 10.14.X Mojave. Please let us know if you have any further questions. »

In case it would work with the USA-28 adapter, like you suggested, I did try many times to install the v4.0 b4 you are referring to and was never able to confirm any ports in Indigo's Manage interface/Insteon / X10 Powerline interface option while I am able to do that easily with the v2.6.4 (see here) that is actually installed on my iMac.

Either, I don't do the v4.0 b4 installation correctly or I need to use it only with the USA-19 Keyspan adapter. Looking at TripLite's website, I see that the USA-19 is still selling and that 2 models are available: one with a USB-A connector (USA-19HS) and a newer one with a USB-C (USA-19HS-C) connector ... probably meaning that they intend to support the USA-19 model for a while again., and also probably the reason why you insist about using the CM11A with the Keyspan adapter instead of the CM15A..

Posted on
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:14 am
srkinard offline

I noticed you have SIP disabled on this machine...is that to run older system extensions or something odd?

Typically disabling SIP means trying to get the system to do something it doesn't want to do normally, which (in my experience both personally and in IT support) means a less stable system.

Honestly, I'd back up the Indigo installation, deactivate the license, then clean install macOS again leaving SIP enabled and making no changes, then reinstall Indigo and see how it behaves.

Just the first thing that leaps out at me when an obvious reason for crashing isn't found.

Ross

Posted on
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:47 am
rlesperance offline

Hello Ross,

With one of the last OS X version (not sure which, but probably Mojave), I was not able to install the Keyspan CM11A driver. Somebody (?) suggested that I disable SIP and the installation worked. After installation, I usually enable it back again. The mention you saw was probably because I forgot. SIP is now enabled.

As for a OS X clean install, it could be a good idea. Is it possible to do ONLY THAT without trashing any OS X or app settings and extensions ?

Posted on
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:33 am
srkinard offline

rlesperance wrote:
Hello Ross,

With one of the last OS X version (not sure which, but probably Mojave), I was not able to install the Keyspan CM11A driver. Somebody (?) suggested that I disable SIP and the installation worked. After installation, I usually enable it back again. The mention you saw was probably because I forgot. SIP is now enabled.

As for a OS X clean install, it could be a good idea. Is it possible to do ONLY THAT without trashing any OS X or app settings and extensions ?

Well...then technically it isn't a "clean" install anymore when you carry over stuff.

I usually use Carbon Copy Cloner and make a mirror of the system, then wipe and clean install. I can then pick and choose the settings and files I want to use later as I reinstall and reconfigure software. Grabbing folders and preferences from the cloned disk and copying over what is needed for config restores.

Since my automation has become complex I don't run anything else on that server...bought the 2018 mini with the quad-core i3 and it's plenty powerful enough. Keeping everything else off the system makes it easier to keep clean and a rebuild would be easier too using the clone/copy files method.

Posted on
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:44 am
rlesperance offline

Matt,

We have been speaking about IndigoServer crashing and we then moved to hardware compatibility and connectivity for X10, thus, landing to the subject of the Keyspan adapter. This topic probably also covers another thread I created about log error in Indigo.

To make it short, I got a reply from Tripp Lite confirming that the Keyspan USA-19HS is a product that Tripp Lite sells and supports actively and for which drivers will be made available in the future:

«The Keyspan USA-19HS and USA-19HS-C are current products, and are still having drivers developed. They do seem to be used a lot, especially in industrial settings.»

That being said, I will try the USA-19HS adapter to see if that is less problem either for the IndigoServer crashing and for the error I get in the log.

I will keep both thread updated.

Thanks for helping.