I think my X10 controller failed

Posted on
Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:10 pm
jroach offline

I think my X10 controller failed

I have a 2413U. I noticed that some lights were no longer responding to Indigo commands yet some did. I believe the ones that work are "linc" style and the failing ones are x10. Could that happen?

Posted on
Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:52 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: I think my X10 controller failed

We've had reports from a few users that the X10 capability of the 2413U failed while Insteon continued to work. However, if all of your devices are X10 (none are Insteon) then that's not likely to be the issue.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:12 pm
jroach offline

Thanks Jay! Fast as always:)
The only one that works is the Insteon switch so I think I've got a bad modem/controller.

All,

I still have a few X10's for the following use cases:
- X10 relay style unit to open and close the garage door (qty 1)
- Where vintage bulbs (Edison style) are required (qty 3)

Sounds like I have a few options:

- replace the 2413U with the exact same unit
- replace the x10 switch's with a zwave or zigbee microswitch and add a hub which allows me any color toggle I need.

Are there other options or things to consider? I haven't followed x10 in years.

Thanks.

Posted on
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:54 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

jroach wrote:
T- X10 relay style unit to open and close the garage door (qty 1)

A couple of options that are what I would consider: the Insteon Garage Door kit (comes with an I/O Linc and a door sensor) or the GoControl Smart Garage Door Controller. There are wiki articles to help with the former and the latter requires a little work to get working I believe. Of course, you could also go with a MyQ Hub and the MyQ plugin, though you may also need to add a separate sensor to get real-time status (open or closed) of the door.

jroach wrote:
Where vintage bulbs (Edison style) are required (qty 3)

Normal switches in those locations? Insteon or Z-Wave (we recommend the HomeSeer W*200 Z-Wave switches) would work nicely. If any are in a shallow or crowded J-Box you should know that the HS switches are deeper than the Insteon switches so take up a little more room.

jroach wrote:
replace the x10 switch's with a zwave or zigbee microswitch and add a hub which allows me any color toggle I need.

Yeah, for Z-Wave you'd need a Z-Wave interface. There are several that we've personally tested with Indigo and work well.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1