USA-19HS vs USA-28GX Keyspan adapter ...

Posted on
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:22 am
rlesperance offline

USA-19HS vs USA-28GX Keyspan adapter ...

Hello,

I have always been using the USA-28XG Keyspan adapter and the CM11A to control my X10 installation with Indigo.

I just realized that the driver is outdated, more, it is discontinued.

Is it possible to use the USA-19HS Keyspan adapter instead ? It's driver has been updated to work with OS X Mojave (10.14).

Regards.

Robert Lespérance

Posted on
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:02 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: USA-19HS vs USA-28GX Keyspan adapter ...

Yes, I believe the 19HS works fine with the CM11. As long as they have a driver that supports your macOS version it should work.

Posted on
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:11 am
rlesperance offline

Thank you Matt.

Also, what is the best interface if I want to be able to control X10 an Insteon devices to replace the CM11 A ?

Posted on
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:17 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

PowerLinc 2413U. Note, however, none of the Insteon/X10 combination interfaces (like the 2413U) send and receive X10 as well as the CM11. One particular area of problems are "generic" dimming modules that do not accept absolute preset dim commands. Those generic dimming/brightening commands require the interface to send a continuous stream of X10 dim/brighten commands and the PowerLinc 2413U can only send them out individually (so it is choppy and slower). For basic on/off commands though it works well.

Posted on
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:48 am
rlesperance offline

Thanks Matt.

Since I cannot have two interfaces with Indigo, would it be a problem if I had a few InsteonLutron circuits (transmitter and module) that would not be managed through Indigo ?

The reason I would be doing that is because I have so many X10 devices that works properly and only have one or two problematic circuits. Later, I would begin migrating to Insteon or Lutron.

Posted on
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:52 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

That would be fine, but in your case (lots of working X10 modules) I'd consider using Z-Wave (via the Z-Stick Gen 5 USB interface) because you can use both the Z-Stick and the CM11 at the same time in Indigo (unlike the PowerLinc and CM11).

Posted on
Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:17 pm
rlesperance offline

Thank you so much ... This seem to be a very good option to consider.

Meanwhile, I have a problem with my Keyspan adapter. Until recently, I was working with the USA-28GX, the USB Twin Serial model. When you wrote to verify if I had the latest driver, I downloaded and installed, by error, the USA-19HS version, this one being a USB-A to Serial Adapter.

Since I don't have that adapter nor the serial cable that is required, I uninstalled it from the Keyspan app and tried to reinstall the USA-28GX, I am unable to reinstall it. I began getting an error message (see file attached) ... « Unable to install because there is already a newer version installed.» (translated from French).

I tried to uninstall the USA-28GX a second time, with the same result. I tried to get help from Tripp-Lite, but they were unable to help me.

I searched my hard disk to see if there was any remaining Keyspan file, without succes.

Can you help me ?
Attachments
Keyspan installation error.jpg
Keyspan installation error.jpg (45.09 KiB) Viewed 2741 times

Posted on
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:59 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Kernel extensions (drivers) are usually installed in this location:

Code: Select all
/Library/Extensions/

I don't know what the filename is, but it probably has USA in it somewhere.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1