Help with X10 log ...

Posted on
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:58 am
rlesperance offline

Help with X10 log ...

Hello,

I have been having some special log events that I would like to understand. Does somebody have a clue what they are all about ?

Is my CM11 dying ?

Thanks in advance.

Robert Lespérance
Attachments
2019-01-30 Events.txt
(17.47 KiB) Downloaded 153 times

Posted on
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:02 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Help with X10 log ...

It might be.

I'd suggest you restart your Mac and see if the problem continues. Also make sure you have the latest driver for your Keyspan adapter, especially since you are running Mojave. Speaking of, you really should upgrade to Indigo 7. There is some functionality (reflectors and possibly other things – we no longer QA it) that definitely won't work under Mojave unless you are running Indigo 7.

That said, although the CM11 problem might be related to running Mojave, if that is the case it would be related to driver compatibility and not because you aren't running Indigo 7.

Posted on
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:07 am
rlesperance offline

Thanks Matt,

I will check for the upgrade. I requested a password reset 2 times to see the upgrade options and never received the email.

I am also looking to upgrade from X10 technology. My entire house is cabled with LM465 devices and wall mounted transmitter with 1 to 4 X10 adresses. I live in the country, so the X10 technology is 99.5% efficient noise proof.

What is your recommandation to replace my wall transmitters and the LM 465 modules in order to upgrade to reliable 2019 technology ?

Thanks in advance.

Robert Lespérance

Posted on
Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:15 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Oh so many options, but in terms of technology the major choices are Z-Wave and/or Insteon for lighting, we recommend Z-Wave for sensors, thermostats, locks, etc. Of course we have a plugin store full of plugins for a wide variety of other devices and technologies.

There are SO many choices, it really depends on what you want, how you want it to look, etc.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:34 am
rlesperance offline

Thanks Jay,

My needs are specific since I want a simple replacement system ... for my actual X10 system, no rewiring. My home has 2000sf on 3 levels.

Actually, I have wall transmitters that each control from 1 to 4 circuits by sending a X10 signal to a module located at a distance near from my electric panel. If I want a simple solution, the new system requires also a wall transmitter (wifi, RF, ???) connected to 110V and a module that will respond to the signal emitted by the new transmitter.

Is there any solutions that will allow me to simply replace my actual wall transmitter and modules without rewiring anything ? Can you direct me to 3 specific products that will do what I am looking for and that will help me focus on actual, reliable and long term solutions ? The system requires to:

1. have a wall transmitter connected to 110v that can control wirelessly from 1 to 4 circuits
2. have a pluggable module that will respond wirelessly to the new wall transmitter

Thanks in advance.

Posted on
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:24 pm
FlyingDiver offline

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:16 pm
rlesperance offline

Thanks for your suggestions ...

I have been with X10 for 27 years. All my house's 5000 square feet is wired and planed to use wall transmitters and LM465 modules located just beside my electrical panel. I have ±35 wall transmitters and ±80 modules/devices (±80 different addresses) and all this stuff is supervised with Indigo on my iMac

For many, X10 is a legacy system with reliability problems. For many, noise over the line or signals from the neighbors's X10 system seems to be a big issue. For me, since I live in the country, neighbor signals are not problematic. Modules and wall transmitters are mostly reliable. Over all those years, I must have replaced only 10 wall transmitters and 10 LM465 modules.

Over time, I have installed filters on a few of my devices, fixing some persistent issue like TV set and computer noise. The one and only problem that I can report is that a few times a year a signal does not go through. I can see the signal sent on my Indigo 's event window but the light/circuit does not answer. The wall transmitter's signal does not seem to go through. When that occurs, my actual work around is to close the electric panel's main switch for a few seconds. Upon opening, the problem disappears until the next time. I don't really know the source of the problem, but that occurs once in a while. Average, over a year, this kind of inconvenience can occur 10 times at most .

As with most technology product, they are never compatibility and issue free. They handle so many tasks and purposes and are connected to so many alien devices/bulbs/controls that being compatibility and issue free is an impossible mission.

Home automation system have been flooding the market for a few years now. More since the introduction of many mainstream product like Alexa, GoogleHome and Apple'sHomePod. There's also Insteon that have been there for a while, Lutron's Caseta and Leviton's Vizia and many others. Probably many of these system are still not yet matured products.

So what's my question ? Since changing a system is money and effort costly, I would like to change for a really better product, a product that is 100% reliable and that will not move me to another problematic universe. Changing one problem for another is not interesting even if it means to migrate to a newer, spicier and more sexier product.

Since many of those product can still have many reliability and compatibility issue or that could be out of the market in a couple of years, I am worried to cary on all this upgrade. Is any of these new system so interesting that it is worth it to migrate ? Migrating all my stuff will be expensive and labor intensive .

Is it really worth it ?

Posted on
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:41 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Can you expand on "LM465 modules located just beside my electrical panel"? I'm having a hard time understanding how that works with wall-wart dimmers. Maybe a picture?

If I was looking for a really reliable lighting control system, I would go Lutron. In fact, I did in the house we moved into in 2016. I have over 100 Lutron "devices", which includes dimmers, switches, wall box keypads, hand held keypads, shades, etc. It's a Lutron RadioRa2 system. The next step down from that is RadioRa 2 Select, which has a smaller number of available devices. With over 100 devices, I think you would have to go with RRa2, and you would need the "Inclusive" (Pro) version of the programming software. That's a true commercial quality product, not hobbyist like Insteon, Z-wave, or X10.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:53 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm very surprised that you've had such good luck with X10. That is most definitely NOT the experience of most Indigo X10 users.

All of the technologies mentioned in this thread have proven to be much more reliable for the majority of users.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1