LM465 gradual brightening from OFF state

Posted on
Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:50 pm
ricvieira offline

LM465 gradual brightening from OFF state

Hi,

Using the Indigo client application, I am trying to get my LM465 to gradually brighten the attached lamp to a target %, starting from the OFF state. Instead, the lamp goes from OFF to full power, and then it gradually dims to the desired %. Nevertheless, once the lamp is ON, I can dim it or brighten it gradually without it going to full power first.

The LM465 is configured as a Lamp Module, and I am using a PowerLinc X10 interface (please see screen shots below). Running Indigo 7.0.2.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 3.35.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 3.35.54 PM.png (162.02 KiB) Viewed 2790 times

Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 3.37.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 3.37.44 PM.png (84.4 KiB) Viewed 2790 times

Posted on
Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:24 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: LM465 gradual brightening from OFF state

Yeah, X10 dimmers kinda suck like that. Try switching it to Preset and if that doesn't work try Extended.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:55 pm
ricvieira offline

Thanks for the quick response, Jay.

I played with multiple combinations of the lamp module definition, including Preset, Extended (the 2 types), and the checkboxes for the "On" commands. Nothing helped my issue.

The funny thing is that I could not find user complaints on this issue: https://www.amazon.com/X10-LM465-Lamp-C ... op?ie=UTF8

Could it be a "feature" of the Indigo implementation and/or the PowerLinc interface? Any thoughts are welcome. Thank you.

Posted on
Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:21 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The problem is that module doesn't support absolute "set brightness" commands – it only supports relative dim down and brighten up commands. Because of this if you want an absolute brightness (that is you are using the Set Brightness action), the only way for Indigo to make sure it goes to the correct brightness is to first turn the module off then have it dim down to the desired level from 100%. You can override this behavior if you want by unchecking the Force value checkbox in the Set Brightness action panel UI. Indigo will then try to dim down or brighten up the module to the desired level from its current level. The gotcha is if what Indigo thinks is the current level isn't really the current level, then it won't be accurate. We strongly recommend INSTEON or Z-Wave modules over X10 modules. They all support absolute set brightness commands.

I just realized you are talking about trying to go to a particular brightness from the OFF state. That is similar to this problem, in that X10 modules don't support brightening up from the OFF state, only dimming down from the ON state. You can try to work around that problem by setting the brightness to 0% instead of OFF. The module can then be brightened up. Again, it may not be very accurate though.

Posted on
Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:41 pm
ricvieira offline

Matt, thank you for the detailed explanation. Indigo is the only controller for the lights in question, so I will try your suggestion of unchecking the Force value checkbox in the Set Brightness action panel UI.

I am so sorry to bug you again, but I can't locate the checkbox you mentioned. Would you please provide the menu path? Running Indigo 7.0.2

Thanks for the awesome support.

Posted on
Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:47 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The UI is only shown if the device has the "Normal" radio button selected for its dimming technique in the Module Definition UI (your first screenshot above). It is shown in the Set Brightness action panel, so it is part of the last panel for a Trigger, Schedule, or Action Group.

Page 1 of 1