Weak, X10 signals from Insteon PowerLinc 2413U

Posted on
Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:15 pm
PETStech offline

Weak, X10 signals from Insteon PowerLinc 2413U

:D I installed a new Indigo-based HA system (Mini Mac, Indigo Pro, INSTEON PowerLinc Modem - USB / Dual-Band; replacing a HomeSeer-based system) in July 2015 for my legacy X10-based HA system, originally installed in 2003. Until several weeks ago, everything was working just fine.

:( Now, one device (PCS SceneMaster LM4L/S) fails to respond to X10 commands from the Indigo system (while the other SceneMaster continues to respond properly):

1. The lights on the both SceneMaster Modules turn on/off and dim when controlled by their hardwired PCS Remote SmartSwitches, and
2. The lights on both Scene Master Modules can be controlled via an X10 PSC02 Maxi Controller plugged into various outlets throughout the house (D10-D13).

Incidentally, on or about the same time as the SceneMaster problem, an RD110 incandescent fixture module stopped responding to an X10 command (H3) from the Indigo system. (All other RD110 units throughout the house continue to respond properly to Indigo commands.)

1. The X10 16400/16450 controller/keypad button for H3, when pressed, turns on/off and dims the lights on the RD110 set to H3.
2. The lights on that RD110 can be controlled via keypad of an X10 PSC02 Maxi Controller (PSC02) plugged into outlets throughout the house.
3. The light for the H3 button on the 16450 keypad turns on/off when the Indigo system sends an H3 command, but the lights on the RD110 do not turn on/off.

I have done extensive testing, including noting X10 signal levels at the Insteon 2413U USB Interface (1.2v) and at various outlets on either leg (X10: 0.5v - 1.2v]. My testing suggests that the SceneMaster is now failing to respond to the weaker X10 signals from the PowerLinc USB modem.

Here is my wiring configuration:

Code: Select all
MAIN PANEL [ONE]
     |  |
     |  |  -  Sub Panel [TWO]
     |  |          |  [ Leg A ]
     |  |          |  -  SceneMaster #1   ← Problem - Indigo’s X10 commands now fail
     |  |          |              |
     |  |          |  -  PCS SmartSwitches (4)
     |  |         
     |  | -  Sub Panel [THREE]
     |   \      |
     | — Leviton HCA02-10E DHC Single-Phase System-Amplifier/Coupler/Repeater
                |  [ Leg B]
                |
                |  -  PCS SceneMaster #2
                |              |
                |  -  PCS SmartSwitches (4)
                |
                |  -  INSTEON PowerLinc 2413U   [ X10:  1.2v @ outlet ]
                |              |
                |  -  Mini Mac w/Indigo Pro  (6.1.7)

QUESTION 1: Will replacing the HCA02-10E (sub panel THREE) with an X10 XPCR Coupler Repeater Amplifier, which supposedly repeated with a 5-7v signal, resolve the problem?

QUESTION #2: Should I leave the HCA02-10E in place and add the X10 XPCR on sub panel TWO?

QUESTION #3: Any other alternatives to boosting the X10 signals from the PowerLinc, or might it need to be replaced?

- Tom

Posted on
Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:48 pm
PETStech offline

Re: Weak, X10 signals from Insteon PowerLinc 2413U

WIRING CORRECTION

I forgot to include the Smarhome wireless coupler on sub panel THREE, Leg A.

Code: Select all
MAIN PANEL [ONE]
     |  |
     |  |  -  Sub Panel [TWO]
     |  |     Leg:    [ A ]
     |  |               |  -  SceneMaster #1   ← Problem - Indigo’s X10 commands now fail
     |  |               |        |
     |  |               |  -  PCS SmartSwitches (4)
     |  |         
     |  | -  Sub Panel [THREE]
     |   \              |                  |
     | — Leviton HCA02-10E DHC Single-Phase System-Amplifier/Coupler/Repeater
               Legs:   [A]                [B]
                        |                  |  -  PCS SceneMaster #2
                        |                  |
                        |                  | -  PCS SmartSwitches (4)
                        |                  |
                        |                  |  -  INSTEON PowerLinc Modem (USB / Dual-Band)   [ X10:  1.2v @ outlet ]
                        |                  |
                        |                  |  -  Mini Mac w/Indigo Pro  (6.1.7)
                        |
                        |  - Smarthome 2443 Access Point INSTEON Wireless Phase Coupler

Posted on
Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:20 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I have no real experience fixing X10 signals - I switched many years ago to Insteon and never really had a reliable X10 setup before that. Perhaps others with more X10 experience can help more fully, though you should know that X10 is legacy technology and not many of our users use it any more (so you may not get much response).

Just FYI though: the Insteon Access Point (2443) will only repeat Insteon signals, so it's unlikely to help with your X10 issue. I know there used to be some hardware tools to help diagnose issues like this, but I don't know what they are nor if they're still available. Have you tried an Insteon switch in it's place?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:18 pm
FlyingDiver offline

When I first got my Indigo setup with the Powerlinc, I tried to use it to control some old X10 lamp and appliance modules I had. No go. Just never got reliable operation out of them. If I used one of my old X10 controllers, the Powerlinc received them just fine, as did Indigo. But transmitting never worked worth a darn. So I gave up on X10.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:19 am
PETStech offline

Thanks for your input.

If I were to hang in here for another 5-10 years, I’d upgrade the whole house, but that’s not in the cards, so we will be selling the home, soon.

I’ll try to make the best of what I have, given that most devices are working with the 2314U. I’m not sure if its a signal strength issue and if so, whether its a weakening transmitter or weakening receiver. I found a used PCS SceneMaster--supposedly in perfect working order--and will swap it out with the one that’s not responding. Hopefully, that will solve most of my current problems. But as for the future, well that will be something the new owner will have to address.

I keep you posted.

Page 1 of 1