Can't get old X-10 devices to respond to Indigo

Posted on
Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:13 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Can't get old X-10 devices to respond to Indigo

I just started playing with Indigo this week, in preparation for using it extensively in a new house to be built this fall. I got an Insteon starter kit with the PowerLinc Modem, On/Off Module, and Wireless Motion Sensor. I got the Insteon stuff working right away. I can control the appliance module from Indigo, and I can trigger on the motion detector.

Then I pulled out a box of old X-10 devices I was hoping to use in some way. I pulled out an X-10 Pro Remote Chime module (which isn't in the device list), and an appliance module. I like using the appliance module for testing because I can hear the relay clicking without bothering to plug anything into it. I also grabbed a couple of plug-in controllers. Then I defined the devices. When I send commands to the devices from the X-10 controller, the devices work and Indigo logs the X-10 commands received (with the correct device name). But using the on/off buttons on the device list does nothing. Using those buttons for the Insteon device does work. Log below.

Any ideas?

Code: Select all
Jun 19, 2014, 4:58:43 PM 6/19
  Sent INSTEON                    "Insteon Appliance" on
  Sent INSTEON                    "Insteon Appliance" off
  Sent X10                        "Test Module" on
  Sent X10                        "Test Module" off
  Sent X10                        "Chime" on
  Sent X10                        "Chime" off

Jun 19, 2014, 4:59:50 PM 6/19
  Received X10                    "Chime" on
  Received X10                    "Test Module" on
  Received X10                    "Test Module" off
  Received X10                    "Test Module" on
  Received X10                    "Test Module" off

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:17 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Can't get old X-10 devices to respond to Indigo

Are the X10 modules plugged into the same outlet (or power strip) as the PowerLinc 2413U?

If not, try that. The PowerLinc likely doesn't have as strong of an X10 transmitter as the X10 controllers you have. A few 2413Us have been reported to have really weak (or totally broken) X10 transmitters, in which case you should get it swapped out.

Posted on
Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:33 am
FlyingDiver offline

No, not the same outlet, but I was testing in a small guest house, so the runs were pretty short. I'll bring a plugging strip in there later and the devices on it and try again.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:59 am
FlyingDiver offline

OK, it worked when all plugged in on the same strip. So the transmitter does work, but possibly not very well. The distance between the units was probably only 50' or so to the panel and back, but they could have been on different phases. I'm not sure I'd trust this stuff in the new house (4000+ sqft), so it's probably moot. I might keep the palm pads and RF receivers, since it appears that transmitting to Indigo works.

Is there any market for used X-10 equipment? Some of it was high-end stuff, 10 years ago (the PCS dimmer modules in particular).

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Wed May 11, 2016 1:52 pm
Different Computers offline

So problems like this are likely going to be about signal strength from the Powerlink?

I got one in the hope of using old appliance modules for some stuff in the bar mainly, and it turns out I can't get any module plugged in there to work. My first thought was that this had been put onto a different circuit when we had lots of electrical work done during a renovation. My X10 experience is all 15 years old now, but I vaguely recall that sometimes X10 signals won't propagate across an entire house because of the way it's wired.

And while it seems consistent that the newer areas of the house wiring are where modules won't respond, it could also be that those areas are just a longer amount of wire away from the controller.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed May 11, 2016 2:52 pm
FlyingDiver offline

I gave up on all X-10 except for one specific case where the RF pads and receiver are all in the same room. And that's actually in our RV. I've got a box with some spare modules and wired controllers just in case, but I pitched all the hardwire dimmers, etc.

Anyone want a pair of RCS X-10 HVAC controllers? :lol:

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Wed May 11, 2016 4:42 pm
Different Computers offline

yeah, I'm definitely not intending to buy more X-10 stuff, but I have a bunch of stuff in the bar that's worth automating only if it doesn't cost me money.

Just Murphy at work that the area I can use the most modules is the area that doesn't get signal.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:16 am
randysk offline

I have a 2413U and my X10 devices were working fine until around version of 6.1.10 of Indigo. Then all the X10 devices stopped working, although the Insteon devices still work. Even modules plugged into the same power strip as the 2413U do not work. What needs to be done to get them working again?

Thanks.

Posted on
Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:59 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

We've had reports that the X10 functionality in the PowerLinc 2413U will just stop working. If you have an X10 device plugged into the same outlet as the PowerLinc and it's not working but Insteon is working then I think that's what's happened to your interface.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:37 pm
randysk offline

And that's considered acceptable for the hardware? What am I supposed to do, just go buy a new one every time the hardware decides to crap out? Is there anything else to try to make sure it isn't a software issue?

Posted on
Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:01 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Well, it isn't great but it doesn't happen often and they do have a 2 year warranty. We are positive this isn't an Indigo issue.

Posted on
Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:39 pm
roussell offline

As an additional data point, I use a 2413u and still have a handful of X10 plugin modules that I use for holiday lighting and some nonessential stuff around the house. It all works fine with I7 and never had any issues with the I6.x.x versions either.

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:41 pm
randysk offline

Thanks. I never had any problems until recently either. As more of my devices become Insteon, I tend to notice x10 problems less often. I'm getting a new 2413U and we'll see how that goes.

Posted on
Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:58 am
randysk offline

Matt,

You were right. The new 2413U does work with X-10 again. It's disappointing that it failed and odd that only one part of its communication could fail, but that was it.

Thanks.

Randy

Page 1 of 1