[ANSWERED]X 10 CM 15A

Posted on
Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:24 am
Pacman1840 offline

[ANSWERED]X 10 CM 15A

How do I connect the CM 15A to my iMac? All I see on the computer is USB ports and no serial ports. After plugging in the controller to a USB port on my Mac, Indigo will not recognize the controller to trigger the events I set up using an X10 socket rocket. Needless to say I am new to Indigo only having used the X10 software previously which is no longer available. Any help woould be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
pacman1840

Posted on
Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:50 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: X 10 CM 15A

Macs don't have serial ports so you'll need to get a serial-to-USB adaptor. We recommend adaptors that use the FTDI chipset as that driver seems to be the most reliable (just install the drivers as we describe for the PowerLinc 2413U since it uses the same chipset).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:01 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The CM15 should just work with Indigo (the Indigo installer automatically includes a driver for it). What are you seeing in the Event Log when you enable the interface? And have you tried different USB ports and cables?

Posted on
Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:29 pm
Pacman1840 offline

Thanks, I will try a different USB port. How should I enable the interface? X10 RF is of course one of the interfaces to select listed in the drop down selections under "interfaces" at the top of the Indigo web page. Also, I do see grayed out words on the bottom left corner of the Indigo web page "all interfaces disabled". It appears that I need to enable my interface in order to make it work properly.

I do appreciate so much all your effort,

pacman1840

Posted on
Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:01 am
Pacman1840 offline

matt (support) wrote:
The CM15 should just work with Indigo (the Indigo installer automatically includes a driver for it). What are you seeing in the Event Log when you enable the interface? And have you tried different USB ports and cables?
Thanks, I will try a different USB port.

How should I enable the interface? X10 RF is of course one of the interfaces to select listed in the drop down selections under "interfaces" at the top of the Indigo web page. Also, I do see grayed out words on the bottom left corner of the Indigo web page "all interfaces disabled". It appears that I need to enable my interface in order to make it work properly.

I do appreciate so much all your effort,

pacman1840

Posted on
Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:34 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

If your CM15 is a USB device, then when you configure the interface in Indigo you should select the CM15A (USB) interface - which will dim the Serial port popup (because it's not a serial device). If you have that selected already, then Save the dialog and select the Interfaces->INSTEON/X10 Power Line->Enable menu item which will enable the interface.

The CM15A is a combination power line and RF interface so you don't need to configure an X10 RF interface separately.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:25 pm
Pacman1840 offline

jay (support) wrote:
If your CM15 is a USB device, then when you configure the interface in Indigo you should select the CM15A (USB) interface - which will dim the Serial port popup (because it's not a serial device). If you have that selected already, then Save the dialog and select the Interfaces->INSTEON/X10 Power Line->Enable menu item which will enable the interface.

The CM15A is a combination power line and RF interface so you don't need to configure an X10 RF interface separately.

I followed your instructions and the x10 Power line interface is enabled. CM 15A now appears in green in the lower left portion of the page. However, the events I created do not function at he established time. Aparently the interface is not commuincating with the X10 socket rocket screw in module. The events I created do appear in the listing under the scheduled tab but state that "none have been selected". Also, nothing shows under the trigger tab. Perhaps I failed to create the triggers properly? I would appreciate you suggesting how I can best correct my problem.
Thanks so much,
pacman1840

Posted on
Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:51 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Pacman1840 wrote:
I followed your instructions and the x10 Power line interface is enabled. CM 15A now appears in green in the lower left portion of the page. However, the events I created do not function at he established time. Aparently the interface is not commuincating with the X10 socket rocket screw in module.

Unfortunately, this is not uncommon for X10 given the poor protocol. When you select the socket rocket in the device list and click the Turn On/Off buttons in the control area, what happens to the progress indicator in the lower left corner? If you see a little green nugget go from left to right then Indigo is telling the CM15A to send the on command to it - there's not much more we can do.

Are you sure you have the socket rocket's X10 address right? You can try to move it (if it's in a lamp for instance) so that it's plugged into the same outlet as the CM15A - that might help determine if it's a signal issue.

Pacman1840 wrote:
The events I created do appear in the listing under the scheduled tab but state that "none have been selected".

I'm not following you - can you describe exactly what you see (or better yet take a screenshot)?

Pacman1840 wrote:
Also, nothing shows under the trigger tab. Perhaps I failed to create the triggers properly? I would appreciate you suggesting how I can best correct my problem.

Unfortunately, I don't really know what it is you're trying to do. Schedules are different than Triggers, and I don't understand what's not working other than the socket rocket isn't responding (which we're trying to diagnose in the first question above). I believe maybe you need to take a step back and read through the documentation once more - specifically the Concept Overview, which will at the very least give us common terminology when trying to describe what you're trying to do and what's not working.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:50 am
Pacman1840 offline

All I am trying to do is to use your software to operate my X10 CM15A interface which was used to turn on and off certain lights in my home at specific times every day. The interface interacted with lamp modules and screw in socket rockets according to a specific house code for each module. Is it possible to use your software? And if so, specifically how should I go about setting it up?
Thanks,
pacman1840

Posted on
Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:32 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Did you create Devices for each X10 modules you have?

When you select those Devices and press Turn On and Turn Off in the main window do they work?

If not, copy/paste the Event Log window contents after pressing Turn On and Turn Off so we can see what is occurring.

Posted on
Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:28 pm
Pacman1840 offline

Yes, when I select a Device and press Turn On and Turn Off in the main window the lamp light plugged in to a X10 lamp module does come on and go off? How should I schedule specific times each day for the lamp to come on and go off? This is all I want to happen.

Thanks,

pacman1840

Posted on
Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:34 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You need to create Schedules that execute at the appropriate times. The action would be Device Actions->Light/Appliance Controls->Turn On (or turn off depending on what you want).

There's a wiki article that describes the basic steps involved.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:03 am
Pacman1840 offline

Re: [ANSWERED]X 10 CM 15A

Thanks to Jay's excellent support I now have Indigo 6 software operating very well using my X-10 CM 15A interface. One question, is their a way the Indigo 6 software can be used to clear the memory in the CM 15A? I want to eliminate all the old information previously downloaded to the interface before changing to the Indigo 6 software. Disconnecting the interface from my computer and the electric current plus removing the (4) AAA batteries in the interface and waiting almost 24 hours the memory in the interface does not clear.

Thanks,

pacman1840

Posted on
Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:32 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Glad you're up and running.

We have no way to reset it from Indigo. I found on the internet that here is the procedure - the order seems to matter:

1. Unplug usb cable from the computer
  2. Unplug the CM15A from the wall
  3. Remove the batteries
  4. Wait (I'd give it 30 minutes)
  5. Put the batteries back in
  6. Plug the CM15A into the wall
  7. Plug usb cable into the computer

Hopefully that will work, though there seems to be some question as to whether it does or not.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:09 am
Pacman1840 offline

Unfortunately the interface would not clear as you suggested so I decided to buy new one and my scheduled device actions are now working perfectly. Thanks so much for trying to help me with the interface clearing problem.

Will Indigo permit me to set more than one action for the same device on the same day, just a different time? If so, how should I enter it?

Pacman1840