[ANSWERED] Multiple 2413U instead of power-line bridge?

Posted on
Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:31 pm
unfrostedpoptart offline

[ANSWERED] Multiple 2413U instead of power-line bridge?

Hi all.

As I get more involved with Indigo and Insteon and Hue, I remember why I stopped work on my X10 network many years ago: combination of big (4000 ft^2) house and the old phase-bridging issue.

I looked around at what's the latest and saw the CR234. I'm thinking about getting one but I don't have any 220v outlets - all appliances are hardwired. So, I'd probably have to get an electrician to install it in the breaker panel. The cost of the bridge and the install starts getting up there and doesn't guarantee everything will work. Yeah, buying all new dual-band Insteon would be great but cost close to $1k to replace all the X10 stuff I already have.

However, I've had another idea but don't know if Indigo would support this:
What about just buying another Insteon 2413U interface and also attaching it to the Mac Mini I'm using? I'd plug that into an outlet on the other phase.

Could Indigo be set to send all X10 commands on both? And listen to both? Please say yes!!!!

Thanks,

David

Posted on
Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:06 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Multiple 2413U instead of power-line bridge?

Hi David,

Unfortunately, Indigo only supports a single power line based interface (INSTEON or X10). I have a combination of X10 and INSTEON modules that Indigo communicates with via a PowerLinc 2413U, and I have Z-Wave modules that Indigo talks to via the Z-Stick 2.

To bridge the X10 power legs I use the Leviton X10 Repeater HCA02. It works well (I think it has a conflict with the outdoor X10 security motion sensor, but I don't have that one). I believe that the HCA02, like all X10 hardware, is a bit harder to find online these days.

Posted on
Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:16 pm
unfrostedpoptart offline

matt (support) wrote:
Hi David,

Unfortunately, Indigo only supports a single power line based interface (INSTEON or X10). I have a combination of X10 and INSTEON modules that Indigo communicates with via a PowerLinc 2413U, and I have Z-Wave modules that Indigo talks to via the Z-Stick 2.

To bridge the X10 power legs I use the Leviton X10 Repeater HCA02. It works well (I think it has a conflict with the outdoor X10 security motion sensor, but I don't have that one). I believe that the HCA02, like all X10 hardware, is a bit harder to find online these days.

Thanks for the info. Guess it's HCA02 or CR234 time. Any info on advantages / disadvantages of these two?

Posted on
Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:56 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm only familiar with the one I have (HCA02). It seems to work well.

Posted on
Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:07 pm
Mirus offline

Re: [ANSWERED] Multiple 2413U instead of power-line bridge?

Did you get this working? I have a 4-pin 240v signalinc module to span both 120 lines if you are in the US. Plugs in to a dryer outlet.

http://www.smarthome.com/4816A2/SignaLinc-Plug-In-Phase-Coupler/p.aspx

Page 1 of 1