[ANSWERED] CM11 problems (non-Keyspan USB adapter bug)

Posted on
Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:01 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

If you are seeing the green brick/nugget stuck in the progress bar, then it is likely a hardware or driver problem (not an Indigo bug). Do you have the CM11 USB to serial adapter cable plugged directly into your Mac? There are issues with using USB to serial adapters and some USB hubs, so I recommend always plugging it directly into your Mac. The other issue is could be the driver. I recommend using this open source driver for that adapter cable. Folks have reported better success with it than the one Marmitek recommends. I think you are already using that driver though, so I suspect it could be a USB issue.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:00 am
pkronen offline

(No subject)

Hi Matt,
My CM-11 is directly connected to my Mac (I don't have an USB hub), the newest driver is installed - therefore that can't be it.
But could it be a CM-11 firmware issue (version 8)?
Cheers, Peter

Posted on
Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:23 pm
pkronen offline

(No subject)

And I am sure I installed the 'PL2303 USB to Serial Driver for Mac OS X' from sourceforge.
However, my System Profiler shows

USB-Serial Controller:
Version: 3.00
Bus Power (mA): 500
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Prolific Technology Inc.
Product ID: 0x2303
Vendor ID: 0x067b

Is this correct (the product id seems ok), or is there a cue of an error?
Peter

Posted on
Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:38 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Did you install the Prolific (not open source) driver at one point? If so, then you probably need to uninstall it before the open source driver will really be used.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:41 am
pkronen offline

(No subject)

Oh, boy!
I removed 'prolificusbserial.kext', reinstalled the PL-2303, and rebooted.
Now Indigo finds no serial port anymore, and there is nothing new in the Extensions folder either!
Seems your recommendations are not mature enough..
Peter

Posted on
Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:18 am
macpro offline

(No subject)

pkronen wrote:
I removed 'prolificusbserial.kext', reinstalled the PL-2303, and rebooted.

This is probably where it went wrong.
After your removed the old driver, you should have rebooted as well.

Another way to deinstall the driver is by using DesInstaller.
This should be able to completely remove the old driver, but in your case I would use it to remove bove the old and new driver. Then reboot and finaly reinstall the new driver.

Posted on
Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:03 am
pkronen offline

(No subject)

Thanks.
Unfortunately, the Desinstaller would not help, since it required 'better' authentication (than I have as admin?) to do anything.
So, I manually deleted the extensions entry and all library/receipts entries, rebooted, reinstalled pl2303 (this time I tried the 10.4 version, because I was confused of the 'universal' title so far, and I have an old PPC G4).
In the System Preferences / Network it appears now even as a own port!
And Indigo seems to cope with the CM11 better now; for the moment, I'm happy.
Peter

Remark: I think the System Profile 'Profilic' data are probably infos from the CM11 firmware..

Posted on
Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:55 am
macpro offline

(No subject)

I just upgraded to the open source driver myself.
Removing the old driver via DesInstaller was not succesful.
The extensions where not deleted, so I moved them to the trash manually and rebooted.
(Extensions, because I had two different ProLific extensions on my Mac. Maybe a reason why I was having troubles sometimes.)

After rebooting I installed the open source driver. Rebooted again but the Indigo client refused to connect to Indigo server. After force quiting Indigo server I was able to restart it via Indigo client.
At that point I could also change the preferences to let my CM11 use the new driver.

Now everything is working ok again.

Posted on
Fri May 11, 2007 6:09 am
Bert Rozenberg offline

(No subject)

Just as a lot of other owners I had some serious problems with the CM11 connected to the USB port. I tried several different drivers but none of them worked stable enough.

Just before I was going to order a Keyspan serial adaptor I remembered I had a Sweex serial adaptor for my Windows laptop. I decided to give hat one a shot (with the ProLific driver).
Not only does it work, it works extremely stable.

I went to the local store and bought two of them (for the CM11 and the W800RF32) and I am using them now for five continuous days without any problems.

Because they are half the price of the Keyspan I thought it would be worth telling others. I paid € 13,00 (about $10.00) for each of them (including sales tax).

You can find them at http://www.sweex.com/CD003

Bert Rozenberg

Posted on
Fri May 11, 2007 7:37 am
pkronen offline

(No subject)

Hi Bert,
So, you say that the problem lies in the cable between the USB port and the CM11? Because I still get the CM11 'freezes' every other day, I think it could be something else than the driver...

Posted on
Fri May 11, 2007 1:54 pm
Bert Rozenberg offline

(No subject)

pkronen wrote:
Hi Bert,
So, you say that the problem lies in the cable between the USB port and the CM11? Because I still get the CM11 'freezes' every other day, I think it could be something else than the driver...

All I can do is share my experience. I had the same lockup problem with the supplied USB cable of the CM11 and after connecting it to the Sweex cable I didn't had any lockups.

Bert Rozenberg

Posted on
Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:54 pm
calbug offline

(No subject)

Having a similar issue when trying to control X10 modules from Indigo via a CM11...I'm using the USB version with the RJ11 to USB cable (not a serial adaptor)

- The CM11 is "locking up" so that commands are not getting passed through (green blocks signifying commands are just stuck in the progress bar)

- The only way to resolve this is to disconnect then reconnect to the interface via the Indigo software. Once this is done, direct commands and test timed events work fine through Indigo for a period of time.

For example: Last night, I tested at 19.00 and direct commands & timed events worked fine...I set a timed event for 20.30 & the CM11 had locked up

It seems that after a period of time, the CM11 stops responding. I have set the mac that Indigo is running on to never sleep & never park hard drive.

Also, after initially loading the Prolific driver "prolificusbserial.kext", I trashed that one & tried the open source PL2303 driver, rebooting machine after each step - still no joy

Kit I'm using: Power Mac G4 (headless with no other software running) + OSX 10.4 + CM11 USB version + Indigo v2 (trial version running as server)

Please help! Cheers...

Posted on
Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:05 am
pkronen offline

(No subject)

Can't help you much...
Sometimes it works for a couple of weeks (!), then again it locks up several times a day.
What helped: every few hours per day an automatic dis/reconnect.
Sometimes I had the impression whenver I foumbled with Indigo (e.g. controlling a light 'manually') it soon would lock up afterwards for a timed action (can't proof it, though).
Keep updating any advances here, please.

Posted on
Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:34 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

I've read online that for some of the CM11 lockups you can unfreeze it by having it hear another X10 command. The next time you have a lockup, try using another X10 transmitter to send an ON or OFF command to see if that unfreezes it.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:52 pm
calbug offline

(No subject)

Nope...still locked & the Indigo server hangs if I try & reset interface connection when bricks are stacked up. In any case, i'm not here to send a command all the time - That's what I'm trialling Indigo for
Its like the whole setup goes to sleep after an hour & only the script to close server works to clear it.

At this moment nobody has a solution - on another UK based forum, I'm hacing no joy either. It seems the only fixes are for people that use the RJ11 to Serial cable. My version has the RJ11 to USB cable (with an inline serial convertor).

My only option is to buy the RJ11 to serial version of the CM11, then also buy a Keyspan Serial to USB convertor as this is the only combination of fixes that the forums mentions - I know this is not perceptive's issue as its hardware, but this is the ONLY option in UK & mac users are only gonna buy the USB version

Is anyone gonna tell me that this will work?