Indigo server is still crashing ...

Posted on
Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:05 pm
rlesperance offline

Indigo server is still crashing ...

IndigoServer is still crashing. This has been going on for a while. I have opened one or 2 topics about that and it never resolved the matter. I would appreciate having help to fix this problem definitively. Now my computer is crashing once in a while and that seems to be related to the IndigoServer crashes that occur very often since a recent OS upgrade.

I little recall of my setup. On my iMac, I have 2 users: one guest user account that automatically logs in when there is a power failure and my personal user account. Indigo is installed in the guest user in order to Indigo to lauch upon restart. The guest user is not an admin. My personal user is an admin.

Upon Matt's suggestion, I created a user group including the guest user and my personal user account, in order to give that group read/write autorisation on the Perceptive Automation folder.

Please help.

P.S. A PDF file containing a few recent crash reports can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ujub8t0bbnoc ... 9.pdf?dl=0

Posted on
Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:13 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo server is still crashing ...

Can you please create a reply post on one of the other threads about the crashes and copy/paste this new post? That will help us re-read the history of the situation. Additionally, you posed this in the X10 sub-forum which doesn't make sense.

Posted on
Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:23 am
rlesperance offline

Hello Matt,

Sorry for the delay.

IndigoServer (IS) crashes constantly. To stop being interrupted, my only way out was to leave the crash report window opened and resized somewhere on my desktop (see attached picture). This way, I don't get any IS crash popping window in the middle of my work..

I even stopped IS in the GuestUser from where it was installed. I get the confirmation that IS is halted and the IS crashes still occur. I don't understand how this can be possible, so that tells you how much I can understand what is going on.

FYI, the guestuser is member of the Indigo group and the group has R/W permissions over the Perceptive Automation folder as you suggested to do.

With the IS halted, all Indigo actions and schedules continue to occur. That is probably the result of a Indigo daemon active somewhere in the background ???

I started the IS from my PersonnalUser account and also had to start it from the GuestUser account. Is that normal ? Could there be 2 IS running ? Sorry, but I can't help you very much. Much of Indigo is under the hood and that is not my speciality.

Here is the previous post about this problem that has been going for months now: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=25505.

I would gladly appreciate fixing this problem with you. Whatever info you may need please feel free to ask.

Regards.
Attachments
IS crash window.jpg
IS crash window.jpg (49.22 KiB) Viewed 2340 times

Posted on
Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:18 am
rlesperance offline

I suspect IS to not only crash it's self but to crash my computer as well. Not sure of that, but that's been arriving lately.

Just found this. A list of recent crashes in Console. See how often IndigoServer occurs. You will understand my problem.
Attachments
Console crash list (02-10-21).jpg
Console crash list (02-10-21).jpg (457.43 KiB) Viewed 2332 times

Posted on
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:38 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

rlesperance wrote:
With the IS halted, all Indigo actions and schedules continue to occur. That is probably the result of a Indigo daemon active somewhere in the background ???

I started the IS from my PersonnalUser account and also had to start it from the GuestUser account. Is that normal ? Could there be 2 IS running ?

I think this is the problem. You should only be starting Indigo Server under one account. Starting it under multiple will definitely lead to problems (looks like crashes) as both versions will be trying to use the same resources (files, ports, etc.). You can run the Indigo Client (UI) under multiple accounts, but never start the server from more than one account.

Posted on
Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:42 pm
rlesperance offline

I don't start IS. It automatically launches. How can I know if there is 1 or 2 instances of IS running ? How can I be sure that there is only one running ?

Posted on
Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:46 pm
FlyingDiver offline

rlesperance wrote:
I don't start IS. It automatically launches. How can I know if there is 1 or 2 instances of IS running ? How can I be sure that there is only one running ?

Pick the user you want to be running Indigo. Leave it alone. Log onto the OTHER user, start Indigo, then look at the "Indigo" menu. If "Stop Server" is enabled (no grayed out), then select it. See screenshot.

Then use "Connect to Remote Server..." and put in the hostname/IP address of the machine you're on, plus credentials as needed.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 4.44.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 4.44.18 PM.png (375.81 KiB) Viewed 2280 times

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:55 pm
rlesperance offline

Thanks for jumping in.

1. Pick the user you want to be running Indigo. -> You are talking here of the user on which Indigo is installed ... the other being the user that will connect to IndigoServer as a remote server ?

2. How do I stop Indigo, Indigo daemon and IndigoServer in order to statr all over again and have no other Indigo ressource running ?

Posted on
Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:13 pm
FlyingDiver offline

rlesperance wrote:
1. Pick the user you want to be running Indigo. -> You are talking here of the user on which Indigo is installed ... the other being the user that will connect to IndigoServer as a remote server ?

Yes. The Indigo server is run by a specific user. On that user account, you want to use the "Start Local Server..." menu command.

rlesperance wrote:

2. How do I stop Indigo, Indigo daemon and IndigoServer in order to statr all over again and have no other Indigo ressource running ?

"Stop Server".

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:12 pm
rlesperance offline

In the GuestUser account where I installed Indigo, I launched Indigo and stopped the server. After, I started the server. I closed Indigo since it will only be controlled from my PersonalUser account.

From my PersonalUser account, the Stop Server was black (not gray). I choose «Stop the server» and I got an error message «Stoping the server failed». I then selected the «Connect to remote server» menu choice and got the window below. I then clicked on the «Connect» button. Is that correct ?

Never did that before or maybe I did a long time ago. Cannot recall. What I can say though, is that the black «Start server» and «Stop server» options confused me, and it is possible that I used those choices without really understanding what I was doing.

Indigo is set to launch when logging in my PersonalUser account. Do I need to connect to the remote server everytime I log in my PersonnalUser account ... or is that set from now on ?
Attachments
Connect to remote server.jpg
Connect to remote server.jpg (11.11 KiB) Viewed 2228 times

Posted on
Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:16 pm
FlyingDiver offline

The client will connect to the remote server on launch, if it was connected last time you ran the client.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:26 pm
rlesperance offline

Indigo has just crashed again..

It always occur in my PersonnalUser account. I never saw that message in the GuestUser.

Posted on
Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:21 am
rlesperance offline

I am getting better at finding those reports. Here is the Console window as of this morning. See all the crashes that occurred since last night.

I stopped IS from the GuestUser account and quitted the app in both users. Let's see what happens with crashes.
Attachments
Console (03-10-21 06H15).jpg
Console (03-10-21 06H15).jpg (299.77 KiB) Viewed 2182 times

Posted on
Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:01 am
rlesperance offline

It didn't crash yet.

With IS stopped (in the GuestUser), how can the scheduled actions still occur ? How can I still connect to the IS from the PersonalUser ?

Posted on
Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:52 am
rlesperance offline

And IS crashed again ...

The IS is supposed to be inoperant. I stopped it in the GuestUser earlier this morning ... and the Indigo app window in the PersonalUser was open and connecting to some sort of IS since it was operational.
Attachments
Console (03-10-21 09H47).jpg
Console (03-10-21 09H47).jpg (190.74 KiB) Viewed 2164 times