Virtual device for dimmers, to make a 3-way dimmer?

Posted on
Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:34 pm
webdeck offline

Virtual device for dimmers, to make a 3-way dimmer?

My house came with a number of switches configured as 3-way circuits. I've replicated it as best I can with Insteon dimmer switches. The switches are linked to each other so that when one is turned on, the other mirrors it. I have one of the switches hidden in the UI so that I don't see 2 switches for the same light. The issue is, if I want to adjust the light through Indigo, then the hidden switch doesn't update its state to reflect the light. I tried using a virtual device for this, but that acts like an on/off switch, not a dimmer.

Is there a simple way to create a virtual dimmer that keeps the two switches in synch with each other?

Thanks,
-Mike

Posted on
Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:35 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Virtual device for dimmers, to make a 3-way dimmer?

You don't need a virtual device - just create a trigger such that when the one that's visible in Indigo has any change it then triggers a Match Brightness action for each of the other lights. See this wiki article for details.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:58 pm
webdeck offline

jay (support) wrote:
You don't need a virtual device - just create a trigger such that when the one that's visible in Indigo has any change it then triggers a Match Brightness action for each of the other lights. See this wiki article for details.

Thanks for the quick reply - I'll give that a try.

-Mike

Posted on
Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:18 pm
webdeck offline

Just a quick note that I got that to work for everything but a FanLinc, as I don't think the FanLincs support AppleScript to get the speed of the fan in order to update keypad button lights. I posted that question in a separate thread here: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=15055

-Mike

Posted on
Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:02 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

webdeck wrote:
Just a quick note that I got that to work for everything but a FanLinc, as I don't think the FanLincs support AppleScript to get the speed of the fan in order to update keypad button lights.

No need for AppleScript (or, for that matter, any script). See the KeypadLinc & FanLinc article for details.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:45 pm
webdeck offline

jay (support) wrote:
webdeck wrote:
Just a quick note that I got that to work for everything but a FanLinc, as I don't think the FanLincs support AppleScript to get the speed of the fan in order to update keypad button lights.

No need for AppleScript (or, for that matter, any script). See the KeypadLinc & FanLinc article for details.

Thanks. Got it working.

-Mike

Page 1 of 1