[ANSWERED]Virtual devices on indigo touch

Posted on
Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:04 pm
indigo2200 offline

[ANSWERED]Virtual devices on indigo touch

I have a virtual device controlling an action group. On the Indigo Touch screen picture it is names "Stue aftenlys". It works correctly, but as can be seen the button icon does not turn blue even though the virtual device is switched on and all the devices in the action group are also correctly turned on? Any idea?
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (56.7 KiB) Viewed 4571 times

Posted on
Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:03 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Virtual devices on indigo touch

In order for Indigo to track a virtual on/off device's state, you must set up a variable that represents the state and check the Supports Status checkbox in the device config. Check the Virtual On/Off Device docs for details.

[MODERATOR NOTE] moved to the Virtual Devices section since it's a question specifically about a virtual device.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:16 pm
indigo2200 offline

Re: [ANSWERED]Virtual devices on indigo touch

Thanks Jay, but it is not clear for me (after having read the text you referred to on virtual devices) how to set up a variable that the reflects the state of the virtual device. Can you point to a more detailed instruction or explain it to me.

Posted on
Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:22 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Read the Action Groups section of those docs again - it's pretty clear...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:43 pm
howartp offline

Indigo2200, I can see you've only just joined the forums recently, but I don't know how new you are to Indigo itself.

If you haven't found the menu "Window > Variable List" yet, then this is where you need to be to create the variable - it will then show up in the list of variables to choose from when creating/editing your Virtual device.

Peter

Posted on
Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:58 pm
indigo2200 offline

Thanks I appreciate it. I have only used Z-wave/Indigo for a month or so.

Posted on
Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:05 pm
indigo2200 offline

I added set variable "name" to true (on) and false (off) in the action group, and now it works.

Posted on
Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:12 pm
howartp offline

You don't actually need to do that.

Just create your variable (which you have done). Then edit your virtual device and tick the 'supports status' checkbox - then pick the variable you'd created in the dropdown box.

The variable state should then update automatically whenever the virtual device changes state, without you needing to add 'set to true' and 'set to false' instructions in the actions.

Posted on
Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:20 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

howartp wrote:
The variable state should then update automatically whenever the virtual device changes state,

Incorrect. It's the opposite - the state of the device mirrors the variable. So, he's done it correctly. A virtual device is not meant to maintain its own state but rather as a mechanism that can be used to create a pseudo device that connects to something else, that something else being what actually has the state maintenance.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:43 pm
howartp offline

Ah, sorry, that's not how I envisaged it. :-) Maybe I should read the wiki sometime :-p

Page 1 of 1