Virtual Device set brightness at x%

Posted on
Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:53 pm
MarcoGT offline

Virtual Device set brightness at x%

Hi all,

I created a virtual devices which has basically two bulbs (dimmable).
For what I saw, I cannot set the brightness for the whole virtual devices, right?

Thanks
Marco

Posted on
Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:47 am
whmoorejr offline

Re: Virtual Device set brightness at x%

Correct. A virtual device group is limited to off/on.

The closest way that I think will work....

Instead of a Virtual Device Group, try a Virtual On/Off Device by Action.

Action Group1 for Virtual Device "on": Match Brightness to device (to sync the bulbs to the same brightness level). Brighten both bulbs by 10%. Set variable "VirtualDeviceName" to "on"
Action Group2 for Virtual Device "off": Match Brightness to device (again to sync the bulbs with each other). Dim both bulbs by 10%
Action Group3 for Virtual Device "toggle" : Toggle variable "VirtualDeviceName" on/off
Variable "VirtualDeviceName" for Virtual Device status.

Trigger: if variable "Virtual Device Name" becomes "off" -> turn both bulbs off
Trigger: if variable "Virtual Device Name" becomes "on" -> turn both bulbs on

On the indigo GUI or indigo Touch, the device will show as On whenever the device is on at any brightness level. Clicking on or off from the GUI will brighten or dim the device.

Then on a control page you can have an On/Off button (Device toggle) and a button for dim (device off) and brighten (device on)

Another Option would be to use the volume approach with the Dynamic Control plugin. This will require more triggers and work, but in the end you could have a slide bar on a control page that could control the dimming of multiple lights.

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Page 1 of 1