Virtual Devices and Homekit

Posted on
Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:28 pm
gskarp offline

Virtual Devices and Homekit

I am considering the installation of some skylights that open and close automatically. They are HomeKit enabled. I am assuming that HomeKit bridge is one way, that is, new HomeKit devices won't show on up on Indigo.

I was wondering if I should create a virtual device to control the skylights such that when a trigger or scheduled event happens then it would turn on or off the virtual device. This would be relayed via HomeKit bridge through its automation.

Thus, if it get's warm in the house and it's cooler outside and I am home, it would turn on the virtual device and the skylight would open. If it is raining and I want to close the skylight, it will turn the virtual device off which would be recognized by HomeKit and would close the skylight.

Is this possible? How would I set up the virtual device? It doesn't seem to work that way. Is there another way I should approach this? Thank you all for this fantastic community.

Posted on
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:20 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Virtual Devices and Homekit

How would you control the HomeKit device or get it's status? That's the key. As you point out, the HKB plugin is one-way so there is no way for Indigo to "see" native HomeKit devices.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:46 am
Different Computers offline

The way I did this was to have a virtual device that indigo controls.

HomeKit watches the status of that virtual device, and reacts using its own control ability.

So:

Virtual do-nothing skylight control switch in Indigo.

Publish the switch via HomeBridge.

Set a Homekit automation that triggers the actual skylight when the virtual switch changes.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:01 pm
siclark offline

I publish a virtual device from indigo then use home kit automation to keep that synced with the native HomeKit device.
That shows the status in indigo.
You could do similar with changing that it indigo and using HomeKit automation to change your physical device

Posted on
Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:32 pm
gskarp offline

Thanks guys. I think this may be the best approach for me to take. I will post how it works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:31 pm
SearchCz offline

Vellux has published an API, for anyone clever enough to do something with it !

Page 1 of 1