Make it easier to backup config and/or move to new computer

Posted on
Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:58 am
Jason G. offline

Make it easier to backup config and/or move to new computer

Hi-

I think it would be nice to have a button that backs up my Indigo config in some nice portable format, or even a setting for regular backups. And bonus points if I can do a single-click to migrate my Indigo setup to a new computer.

I've rolled my own backups based on instructions in the documentation (notably https://wiki.indigodomo.com/doku.php?id=indigo_7_documentation:getting_started#moving_an_indigo_7_installation_to_another_mac - for some reason google only finds the documentation for this topic in Indigo v7, I figured out how to apply the same to v2022), but it includes all sorts of app files (web server files?) and is ~200 mb before compressing down to ~50 mb. I have to imagine some of that is superfluous, but am happy to waste the disk space if that is necessary.

For the migration to a new computer - my current setup is that I have Indigo running on an iMac, and it's also installed on my laptop connecting to the iMac as a remote server. I could imagine a button on the client app that says "migrate Indigo to this computer" and it copies over all the files, scripts, plugins, etc., de-activates the license on the old machine, and sets up the new computer to run a server... leaving me only to move the Insteon PLM and any other physical adapters to the new machine.

I know migrations don't happen that often, but I think it is worth considering how to make it an easy process.

Thanks,
Jason

Posted on
Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:41 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Make it easier to backup config and/or move to new compu

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the suggestion – I'll add it to the request list.

Page 1 of 1