Indigo 2022

Posted on
Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:00 am
howartp offline

Re: Indigo 2022

Have you any idea how much work is involved for not only Indigo but also all the 3rd party developers to rewrite the core of their product in Python 3 based on the whim of Apple?

Apple warned it was coming, and it was expected that it would happen in 13.0

Matt & Jay I’m sure have been working tirelessly on getting Indigo ready ahead of 13.0, usually issuing private betas to 3rd party developers once they’re somewhere close.

For Apple to suddenly pull it early, it’s impossible for a 2-man team to respond that quickly. They’ve done all they can to warn users not to upgrade; every recent Apple release going back years has had bugs that Indigo have had to respond to, and each has carried the same warnings from Jay.

You’re going to have to wait for the upgrade to be available, when and only when Matt & Jay feel it is ready for the public and they’re confident that enough developers have had sufficient time to fix their plugins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:24 am
FlyingDiver offline

JBB wrote:
Sorry to say, this was a fiasco on the part of Indigo.

I upgraded and then found out things were incompatible because Apple took Python 2.7 out of 12.3.

Indigo was sandbagged? Apple should have taken it out for 13.0?

This is mission critical software. Betas of 12.3 have been out for awhile. There is no excuse for this occurring.

You're just wrong on this. Apple did a breaking change on a DOT release. Everyone in the developer community was expecting this to happen in 13.0 and Apple pulled a fast one.

The Indigo team posted MULTIPLE warnings about this over the last couple months, as soon as the betas indicated Python was being removed. You can't blame the Indigo team because you weren't paying attention.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:29 am
CliveS offline

JBB wrote:
Sorry to say, this was a fiasco on the part of Indigo.

The only fiasco I can see is that you failed to read numerous warnings from early January this year about not to upgrade to 12.3 and also failing to read Apple's 12.3 release notes which states Python 2.7 would be removed.

JBB wrote:
I upgraded and then found out things were incompatible because Apple took Python 2.7 out of 12.3.

And how can Indigo be blamed for Apple removing Python in a dot release instead of the next OS release?

JBB wrote:
Indigo was sandbagged? .

No, Indigo knew about Apple's plan and warned the community here not to upgrade to 12.3 until they released the next Indigo update.

JBB wrote:
Apple should have taken it out for 13.0?.

Correct, they normally do major modifications in the next OS version, not half way through an existing version so as to give developers ample time to modify the code, 2 months is not enough time

JBB wrote:
This is mission critical software. Betas of 12.3 have been out for awhile. There is no excuse for this occurring.

Indigo is not mission critical, I would miss it if it was down but I can get off the sofa and manually turn the light on still.
Matt and Jay have been working flat out since they learnt about Apples plan and have given numerous warnings.
I agree their is no excuse for this occuring but it was you who failed to heed the warnings and you installed the update so don't blame them for Apple's rule breaking.

Just restore from your backup and wait for the Indigo update.

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:53 am
JBB offline

I don't follow these forums regularly. If they can e-mail me about new versions and my subscription ending, they could have e-mailed me about this.

Posted on
Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:01 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

We emailed all of our users in February warning them not to upgrade to macOS 12.3. Unfortunately, email communication is never guaranteed with junk/spam filters or users confusing important communication for ads/junk.

Posted on
Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:11 am
CliveS offline

JBB wrote:
I don't follow these forums regularly. If they can e-mail me about new versions and my subscription ending, they could have e-mailed me about this.

They did on 16 February

Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 16.07.03.png
Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 16.07.03.png (497.94 KiB) Viewed 1843 times

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Tue May 10, 2022 3:52 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

NOTE: Indigo 2022.1 has solved the compatibility issue with macOS Monterey 12.3+.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn