Do not turn devices off that already are off

Posted on
Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:46 am
patrikhson offline

Do not turn devices off that already are off

When increasing the number of devices in the network, "turn off everything" implies every device get a "turn off" event. To make this process faster, do not send the command to devices that already are off.

There might be a "force off" command as well that might be used when things are out of sync. Same thing for "turn on" or "set level" or other things that change state of a device to a state it already has.

Posted on
Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:54 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Do not turn devices off that already are off

What do you mean by "turn off everything"?

The Indigo server always sends a command issued to a device despite it's state - that's intentional (a feature) because there are situations where a device can be out of sync with what Indigo thinks is reality. This is primarily a problem for Insteon devices, though it can happen to Z-Wave devices and many other plugin supplied device types.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:50 am
Turribeach offline

Re: Do not turn devices off that already are off

I actually follow Patrik's advice and code my triggers to not do things like turning a light off if the state is already off. Yes like Jay says devices can go out of sync, specially after having Inmdigo Server restarted but in my experience Z-Wave devices keep in sync their states pretty much all the time. There are a few exceptions like battery devices that die for example, but I have a script that checks for devices that don't report themselves every day so I can replace the dead battery. And for the server restart issue I have a script that pings all wired devices and asks for a status update to make sure they are in sync.

Page 1 of 1