Feature for toggling Insteon scenes

Posted on
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:17 pm
dking4 offline

Feature for toggling Insteon scenes

I would like to be able to toggle an Insteon scene using a single command. I cannot figure out how to do this in the current software without some scripting. Also, it would be nice to be able to set Insteon button devices to control scenes or device groups instead of just individual devices. I know I can add more than one device but I already have scenes and device groups programmed. This would seem to make this more efficient. If I am missing this somehow due to ignorance and you would like to point me in the right direction, I would be grateful!

Posted on
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:02 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Feature for toggling Insteon scenes

dking4 wrote:
I would like to be able to toggle an Insteon scene using a single command. I cannot figure out how to do this in the current software without some scripting.

You can use this by creating a Virtual On/Off Device. A rough outline of the steps:

1. Create a variable that will represent the state of the virtual device. Set it's value to "off" initially.
  2. Create an Action Group that contains an Execute Insteon Scene command that sends a Scene On command and updates the value of the variable created above to "on".
  3. Create an Action Group that contains an Execute Insteon Scene command that sends a Scene Off command and updates the value of the variable created above to "off".
  4. Create a Virtual On/Off Device, use the Action Groups for the on and off actions and use the variable to specify state.

That should be close. You would then use the Virtual On/Off device rather than sending explicit Insteon scene commands.

dking4 wrote:
Also, it would be nice to be able to set Insteon button devices to control scenes or device groups instead of just individual devices. I know I can add more than one device but I already have scenes and device groups programmed. This would seem to make this more efficient. If I am missing this somehow due to ignorance and you would like to point me in the right direction, I would be grateful!

I may not be understanding what you are asking, but you can create triggers that will fire based on a KeypadLinc button press...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:36 am
dking4 offline

Thanks for the suggestions. I had created the on/off virtual device but was not finding the exact way to keep track of the on/off state or exactly how that device worked. I played around with the toggle option but that didn't work. I was a little brain-dead on the options so your nudge will get me headed in the right direction again.

I will have to re-look at the keypadlinc to see how to set the buttons up for triggers and triggers for Insteon scenes.

dk

Posted on
Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:13 pm
dking4 offline

So as it turns out, I had already accomplished the logic you suggested. What I was struggling with was a control page button that would toggle the virtual on/off device from on to off and reflect its state without having to set up two buttons. I was able to do that with a virtual device group (very slow and clunky) but not with a virtual on/off device. I can't seem to grasp an easy and elegant way that one would toggle a virtual on/off device to achieve the same results. I assume one would have to create a script that first evaluated the current state and then chose the opposite function as a toggle command. That seems like a lot of trouble just to make an Insteon scene toggle on and off. Once again, I may be missing something completely obvious to others. :?

Page 1 of 1