Add Honeywell ZW4203 (39363-CS2-1) as Compatible Device

Posted on
Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:37 pm
sivads offline

Add Honeywell ZW4203 (39363-CS2-1) as Compatible Device

I noticed that the Honeywell Outdoor Plug-in Switch (ZW4201) was added in release 7.5. The updated (?) version of that switch, the ZW4203, does not seem to be compatible. It is also referred to as model 39363-CS2-1. I'm using an Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 on Indigo 2021.1.1.

I guess my feature request would be to explicitly add /test this device in the next incremental update.

Thanks!!

Posted on
Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:31 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Add Honeywell ZW4203 (39363-CS2-1) as Compatible Device

Can you give us more detail on how it is not working correctly? Are you able to include and then sync it in Indigo, but then cannot control it? The Event Log window results of the sync and trying to control it will be helpful too.

Posted on
Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:17 pm
sivads offline

Hi Matt - Thanks for the quick response.

My system (Mac Pro running macOS Sierra, 10.12.6) had been all Insteon devices until recently -- I added an Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 USB stick. I now have several relays from Intertek and Zooz running on the Z-Wave network (so I know that portion works).

I recently purchased (brand new) the Honeywell Z-Wave Plug-In Outdoor Smart Switch, ZW4203 (39363-CS2-1), and tried to add it to the network. I put the controller into inclusion mode, press the manual/program button on the switch (as instructed), and nothing happens. I've tried everything I can think of (even a factory reset on the switch) to get the controller to recognize the switch with no luck.

Perhaps I have a defective switch?

Not knowing much about the Z-Wave protocol, I just assumed that it may have newer features that the controller does not yet support. For example, this particular switch has the optional (?) S2 security code that is required by some controllers. However, the instructions imply that this code is not necessary for all controllers.

Posted on
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:13 pm
sivads offline

Update: I have a Honeywell Lyric controller for home security which has built-in Z-Wave capability. I don't use this controller for Z-Wave devices, but thought it would be a good test to see if I could include the Honeywell ZW4203 on the Lyric Z-Wave network in order to test if the ZW4203 was working properly. It was included, controllable, and excluded as expected with no problem. So, the switch itself appears to be working fine.

Posted on
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:48 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo's Event Log doesn't show anything happening when you try the inclusion process? Most of the time this is either a range issue, or the module is already included into a controller (they can only be paired with a single main controller; and sometimes they come from the factory already with included in their test controller). A factory reset normally helps the latter, but if the manual for the module has different steps to exclude the module than a factory reset, then try both. For the range issue just try moving the module to be close to your Z-Wave controller. Lastly, try including it without encryption as using encryption adds significant complexity to the protocol, so for troubleshooting we always want to first try including without encryption.

Posted on
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:24 pm
sivads offline

After what seemed to be 1000 attempts and much frustration, it was finally included. I again did several factory resets and held the device almost touching the USB Aeotec Z-Stick. I believe the combination that worked was:

1. Factory Reset (probably about the 10th time this was tried...I don't give up easily, especially when it was easily included in my Lyric Z-Wave network as in the last post)
2. Put Indigo in inclusion mode.
3. Hold switch almost touching the Z-Stick,
4. First press of switch program button (wait for quite a while...nothing).
5. Second press of switch program button (wait for quite a while...nothing).
> etc. (not giving up) <
9. Sixth press of switch program button, wait for quite a while -- OMG! Success!! Disbelief. Confusion. Acceptance. Happiness!!! :D

The switch now is included and works. I will submit a Device Report once I have more experience using the device. For now, it works great.

Indigo never showed anything in the event log (besides the "started controller inclusion mode") until it was actually included.

This device is the first device that has behaved badly when trying to include. Other devices - bing, bang, boom, included.

Thanks for the support and suggestions. If I purchase another one of these switches, I will now know not to return it or throw it into a wood chipper-- just keep trying!

Page 1 of 1