Schedule Condition If device is enabled

Posted on
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:07 am
glt offline

Schedule Condition If device is enabled

Please consider enhancing the Schedule Condition evaluation to allow checking if Indigo communication to a device is enabled. In Indigo 7.3.x you can only check if Insteon devices are on or off in condition evaluation. As a work-around I am using the equivalent Python queries. It would be useful to check if communication is enabled without scripting.

[EDIT: Ignore this next part, the issue wasn't reproducible when I double checked]
In my configuration, Indigo built-in device controls and Python requests will turn on and off devices regardless of whether Indigo device communication is enabled. If this is the expected behavior then we may want to add some more text to the "Device Options" discussion in the "Indigo Overview" article at https://wiki.indigodomo.com/doku.php?id=indigo_7_documentation:overview

Thanks for reviewing.
Last edited by glt on Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:51 am
glt offline

Re: Schedule Condition If device is enabled

I just re-tested and can't duplicate the issue with the device communication setting being ignored. If I can reproduce the issue again reliably I'll provide supporting materials.

Posted on
Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:46 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

glt wrote:
Please consider enhancing the Schedule Condition evaluation to allow checking if Indigo communication to a device is enabled. In Indigo 7.3.x you can only check if Insteon devices are on or off in condition evaluation. As a work-around I am using the equivalent Python queries. It would be useful to check if communication is enabled without scripting.

I'm curious: would you be willing to share the scenario where you need to use a device's enabled state as a condition? It has never come up before so I'm really curious as to the actual use-case.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:45 pm
glt offline

This week’s example involves HVAC support schedules that are either pointless or unhelpful to execute if the main air conditioner has been disabled for cleaning or other transient maintenance. The supporting schedules could be disabled when the device is easily enough, so this isn’t a critical missing piece.

There are more obscure parts of my system that try to self-maintain or self-correct by manipulating devices, and when some external factor makes the recovery impossible then having the schedules refrain from acting is temporarily convenient. Power cycling DSL modem, router, and WiFi are helpful for issues with my hardware but useless when the ISP is down.

Agreed there are many ways in the product to achieve the same effect already, It just seems convenient to be able to disable comms to one piece of my infrastructure and have all the downstream activity idle until the piece is declared operational again manually.

Posted on
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:06 pm
glt offline

Same perspective would apply to Trigger conditions as well. Dynamic climate control based on triggers would try activating intake, exhaust, and cross-zone circulation fans. With the main air conditioner disabled they are all just pushing hot air around trying to get between the set points.

Posted on
Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:06 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Gotcha, thanks for the use-case. I'll add it to the feature request list.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1