Global Dim Ramp Rate

Posted on
Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:06 pm
ryandenver offline

Global Dim Ramp Rate

Greetings

Is it possible today or if not, is it possible to request a feature to allow a global dim ramp rate to be set?

Situation:

I have a combination of nearly 100 dimmers and dimmer DIN in my house.
I'm attempting to adjust dim settings and ramp rates based upon now living in the house for a year.

Ask
I'd like to set all devices and scenes to have a 2 second ramp up/down when they are activated.

Does this functionality exist today or do I need to update each device and scene individually?

Thanks,

Ryan

Posted on
Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:22 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Global Dim Ramp Rate

I don't think it would possible globally. Maybe for each type of dimmer (Insteon, Z-wave, Lutron, Hue, etc), it could be done in the controller or plugin for that device type.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:32 pm
ryandenver offline

Thanks for the quick reply.

Right now I would only be looking to do this on my Insteon devices as they make up 99% of the devices in my system with only a handful of Caseta and Hue rounding out the system.

Aside from aesthetic desires, I'm also hoping that by slowly ramping power to the Insteon devices over 2-3seconds, I can eliminate the 'flicker' that often occurs when a new light source causes a pulse in the house's electric system.

Posted on
Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:36 pm
FlyingDiver offline

I'm not sure Insteon even allows for setting the ramp rate (aka fade time), but it might. There's nothing I can see in the Indigo UI to control that.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:27 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You can set the ramp rate on Insteon devices that support it (most dimmers do), but you can't set them globally/across all devices so you'll need to do them one at a time.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:43 pm
ryandenver offline

Thanks Jay. I had a feeling it was going to be a one at a time effort, but thought I'd ask if there was a feature or script I might have missed.

I guess I know what I'll be doing a few hours a day :D

Posted on
Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:47 pm
ryandenver offline

Jay

Follow up question.

Does the Ramp Rate control both the power up and power down ramp or only the power down?

Currently I have the ramp rate set on each DIN dimmer, keypad, switch, and scene element set to 2.0 seconds. This seems to work on the power down, but the power up is instant.

Ryan

Page 1 of 1