Govee LED Lights Plugin?

Posted on
Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:41 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Govee LED Lights Plugin?

Maybe a Govee plugin in our future?
Have a few sets that seem to work really well. Would be great to get Indigo control.

Carl

Posted on
Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:30 am
Different Computers offline

Re: Govee LED Lights Plugin?

+1 for that. I’m impressed with Govee’s features and price point. Apparently there’s an API, Home Assistant/Hubitat/Control4 integration.

Anyone?

EDIT: Seems like someone has done most of the hard work already (said the non-programmer, looking at one page of code.) https://govee-api.readthedocs.io/en/latest/usage.html

I can tell enough to know that the API is python, installs easily with pip, and has significant control of devices and discovery.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:08 pm
kw123 offline

this is another external web server connection to switch lights on off!?

no internet, can not switch off / on lights...

but I guess thats the trend

Karl

Posted on
Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:10 pm

Seems like **maaaaybeeee** external servers don't need to be involved.

Here's what ChatGPT has to say:

can you assist me in using python scripts to integrate Govee lights with Indigo?
Yes, I can provide some guidance on how to use Python scripts to integrate Govee lights with Indigo. Here are the general steps that you would need to follow:

Install the Python library for Govee lights. This library provides a set of functions that you can use to control Govee lights from a Python script.
Import the Govee library into your Python script. You can do this by adding the following line at the beginning of your script:

Code: Select all
import govee

Initialize the Govee lights. You can do this by creating an instance of the Govee class and passing it the MAC address of the light that you want to control. For example:

lights = govee.Govee('xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx')

Use the functions provided by the Govee library to control the lights. For example, you can use the set_brightness() function to set the brightness of the light, and the set_color() function to set the color of the light.
Here is an example Python script that shows how you can use the Govee library to control a light:

import govee

lights = govee.Govee('xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx')

# Set the brightness of the light to 50%
lights.set_brightness(50)

# Set the color of the light to red
lights.set_color('red')

You can integrate this Python script with Indigo by using the Python Plugin for Indigo, which allows you to run Python scripts from within Indigo. You can then create Indigo actions or triggers that call the Python script and control the Govee lights.

Anyone interested in trying this? I don't have any Govee lights. But I might get some!

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:12 pm

I don't know enough about plugins or GitHub or forks to know WHICH Govee Python library to install.

Posted on
Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:38 am
midd offline

I gave the python script a try so Indigo could turn my Outdoor Permanent Lights on and off. I installed a Govee python library (Not sure if it was the right one. ) Used the example given and gave the python command to turn it on. When I run the script, the response is the govee module is not found. I also saw that it only works with bluetooth , not wifi. And my govee is connected via wifi. So I just use alexa to turn them on and off.

Indigo 7, Monterey (12.1) on a 2009 Mac Pro..

Posted on
Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:34 am
noel1983 offline

I've just got my second govee light, I'm thinking that I can use virtual devices to achieve on / off automation, maybe more tbh, through the Alexa integration.

I have some LWRF wireless switches (the 4 button panels) and I'm thinking I'll link some of those to specific combinations of commands like particular colours, patterns etc,

Anyone done anything like this?

Page 1 of 1