Control pages as pushable

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2020 11:32 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Control pages as pushable

pocster wrote:
Suppose a ‘trigger’ could move the mouse / touch screen to a specific point on screen then click ; execute python code I assume .
Effectively you could ‘push’ a control page ( on the icon selected ) .
Certainly a less than perfect work around but the example of a doorbell pushed and a control page appears as a result of that would be something....

Your problem is that the trigger is executing on the Indigo server, and you want the "action" to occur on the touch client. That's not happening, except maybe using the non-Indigo tools and apps that Jay pointed out earlier.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2020 1:20 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

pocster wrote:
Suppose a ‘trigger’ could move the mouse / touch screen to a specific point on screen then click ; execute python code I assume .
Certainly a less than perfect work around but the example of a doorbell pushed and a control page appears as a result of that would be something....

Um, no, neither web pages nor Indigo Touch have the ability to move/click pointers or "tap" random objects...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2020 1:28 pm
pocster offline

jay (support) wrote:
pocster wrote:

Um, no, neither web pages nor Indigo Touch have the ability to move/click pointers or "tap" random objects...
; yeah I see both your points ! . Just a wishful thought I guess .

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2020 1:36 pm
pocster offline

pocster wrote:
jay (support) wrote:
pocster wrote:

; yeah I see both your points ! . Just a wishful thought I guess .
Control page objects are dynamic aren’t they ?
I.e an alteration causes an immediate update ?
If that is correct could you not have control page objects placed off screen , then on a trigger ‘moved’ to on screen ?
Basically allowing ‘pop ups’ ontop the underlining control pages ? ( more random thoughts ! )

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2020 2:32 pm
FlyingDiver offline

pocster wrote:
If that is correct could you not have control page objects placed off screen , then on a trigger ‘moved’ to on screen ?
Basically allowing ‘pop ups’ ontop the underlining control pages ? ( more random thoughts ! )

You're not understanding this. Triggers happen in Indigo server. There's no way for Indigo server to tell a control page running in Indigo touch to do anything.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2020 2:43 pm
pocster offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
pocster wrote:

You're not understanding this. Triggers happen in Indigo server. There's no way for Indigo server to tell a control page running in Indigo touch to do anything.
Perhaps I am mis understanding. When you select an item on a control page ;indigo server can activate a trigger yes ?
The elements on a control page are positioned by the indigo server . So why can’t a control page item be off screen on indigo client . Then a server event move the control page element onto the screen ?
Everything is done server side

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2020 2:53 pm
FlyingDiver offline

pocster wrote:
Perhaps I am mis understanding. When you select an item on a control page ;indigo server can activate a trigger yes ?
The elements on a control page are positioned by the indigo server . So why can’t a control page item be off screen on indigo client . Then a server event move the control page element onto the screen ?

When you touch a control in Indigo touch (on a control page), then it's the iOS application sending a command to Indigo server to do something. That's not actually activating a trigger, but I think that's what you really mean.

When Indigo touch loads a control page, it's getting the layout from the Indigo server. But it's the iOS app that's fetching the layout information from the server, not the server pushing it to the iOS app.

Yes, I suppose that you could have an UI element be "off screen" on a control page. Never tried to do it, but I think it's possible. But (as I've said multiple times), there's no way for Indigo server to push anything to the iOS client. Such as an updated control page.

In fact, I don't think there's any way to change a control page layout from an Indigo event, so even if you could get the client to re-fetch the page, you can't "move an element" in the control page first.

This has been an open issue for a long time (years), and there's a lot of smart people using this software. If this could be done, someone would have figured it out a long time ago.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2020 9:57 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Perhaps you could "kind of" get there with an image that is small (e.g. 1x1 transparent) and which changes to a view of the doorbell when it is rung. There are some limitations there but I believe others have done similar things for other purposes.

As others have said, this really requires the client (Indigo Touch in this case) to support this functionality. That is how the Domotics Pad Android Client is able to do this -- via a push notification from the Indigo Server.

Adam

Posted on
Thu May 28, 2020 12:59 am
pocster offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
Perhaps you could "kind of" get there with an image that is small (e.g. 1x1 transparent) and which changes to a view of the doorbell when it is rung. There are some limitations there but I believe others have done similar things for other purposes.

As others have said, this really requires the client (Indigo Touch in this case) to support this functionality. That is how the Domotics Pad Android Client is able to do this -- via a push notification from the Indigo Server.

Adam
Agree . It is a bodge but does allow a crude pop up . After all the server allows refreshing URL’s or icon to change graphic ( say from on to off ) - so ‘moving’ an element so it’s visible ( I.e on screen ) or changing its size as you say should be feasible with little client alterations.
Appreciate the reply .

Posted on
Fri May 29, 2020 1:41 am
Londonmark offline

RogueProeliator wrote:

Adam
I do this to cycle through a few thousand photos on my iPads as a basic screensaver. Works really well.

Posted on
Fri May 29, 2020 2:31 am
howartp offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
pocster wrote:

Pocster, to answer your question directly and explain why this won’t work:

When you’re editing a control page in Indigo Client, it doesn’t update live on Indigo Touch until you hit save.

That’s why there’s a button to preview in Safari, which opens a copy of the control page, updated with the changes you’ve made, not a live copy of the page you’re mid-edit.

Therefore, much as I love your idea to fudge dynamic editing of the control page with mouse/keyboard control, and I totally get it, it’s not gonna work. :-(

That said, and I’ve just thought of this as I type, if your fudging also happened to hit the save button, then I *think* the page would update in Touch. (?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Fri May 29, 2020 2:34 am
pocster offline

howartp wrote:
FlyingDiver wrote:
pocster wrote:

Pocster, to answer your question directly and explain why this won’t work:

When you’re editing a control page in Indigo Client, it doesn’t update live on Indigo Touch until you hit save.

That’s why there’s a button to preview in Safari, which opens a copy of the control page, updated with the changes you’ve made, not a live copy of the page you’re mid-edit.

Therefore, much as I love your idea to fudge dynamic editing of the control page with mouse/keyboard control, and I totally get it, it’s not gonna work. :-(

That said, and I’ve just thought of this as I type, if your fudging also happened to hit the save button, then I *think* the page would update in Touch. (?)

Hey

Thanks for the response. Yes I see exactly where you are coming from ! . It’s all getting rather convoluted though . Getting to the point I suppose where the bodge becomes more messy than the issue

Posted on
Fri May 29, 2020 2:39 am
howartp offline

I was concerned this thread was being derailed by giving you answers to the wrong question.

I’ve just checked and control pages DO update live when you hit save, so technically it IS possible for Indigo Server to send updates to Indigo Touch.

But as you say, when does the fudge take longer than the issue?

Peter

Posted on
Fri May 29, 2020 2:42 am
pocster offline

howartp wrote:
I was concerned this thread was being derailed by giving you answers to the wrong question.

I’ve just checked and control pages DO update live when you hit save, so technically it IS possible for Indigo Server to send updates to Indigo Touch.

But as you say, when does the fudge take longer than the issue?

Peter

Thanks again .
I guess the ‘nicest’ solution would be that indigo server can be triggered to ‘move’ a control page element and then itself do a ‘save’ to effectively do the push .
At least the fudge has a bit more elegance

Posted on
Fri May 29, 2020 9:47 am
RogueProeliator offline

guess the ‘nicest’ solution would be that indigo server can be triggered to ‘move’ a control page element and then itself do a ‘save’ to effectively do the push .
At least the fudge has a bit more elegance

Or changing to Android and have it built in. #JustSayin'

Just kidding. Kind of. :-)