Lighting Support Enhancements?

Posted on
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:10 am
autolog offline

Lighting Support Enhancements?

I think this may already be on the list but it would be very useful to have a Send Status Request button for RGBW lights - it is present on non-RGBW lights.

Also, if the Color Controls pane was enhanced (made deeper), it would be very useful to have a slider like the W (White) one for Infra-Red so that lamps with Infra-red lamps could be adjusted from the UI.

It leads to a general question as to why the Device control panes are so small - they get lost on my monitor! Just joking but these days there is an awful lot of screen real-estate that could be leveraged. :)

Posted on
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:32 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Lighting Support Enhancements?

autolog wrote:
I think this may already be on the list but it would be very useful to have a Send Status Request button for RGBW lights - it is present on non-RGBW lights.

I thought there was a button to do it, but I don't have one in my testing environment. Matt's checking.

autolog wrote:
Also, if the Color Controls pane was enhanced (made deeper), it would be very useful to have a slider like the W (White) one for Infra-Red so that lamps with Infra-red lamps could be adjusted from the UI.

Yep.

autolog wrote:
It leads to a general question as to why the Device control panes are so small - they get lost on my monitor! Just joking but these days there is an awful lot of screen real-estate that could be leveraged. :)

We were designing this particular UI back in 2010, when screen real estate was much more at a premium, particularly given that everyone tends to run it on older hardware. Some day, when we do a big UI overhaul, we'll address this and many other UI things. Unfortunately, changing it as it stands now wouldn't be as easy as one might expect, and there are bigger fish to fry at the moment.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:58 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

One of the RGB devices I have (a Z-Wave device) shows a "Refresh" button which is functionally the same as the Send Status Request button. I believe I had to rename it so that it would fit in the narrow UI view. :-)

Does the device in question have supportsStatusRequest set to True? (can be set via the device property "SupportsStatusRequest", but I believe it defaults to True if it isn't set)

Posted on
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:22 pm
autolog offline

It's a LIFX RGBW lamp.

Not much real-estate left. :)

Screenshot 2020-02-24 at 20.19.43.png
Screenshot 2020-02-24 at 20.19.43.png (26.57 KiB) Viewed 1209 times

I think we may have had a discussion about this in the past. :)

Posted on
Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:13 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Ah yes, on that particular view (with Temp slider) I think I had to remove the button. I'll add it to the request list.

Page 1 of 1