Enhancement to Virtual Devices

Posted on
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:48 am
berkinet offline

Enhancement to Virtual Devices

When creating a Virtual On/Off device It is necessary to create an Action Group for each required and desired function. Where the Action calls some external code, the only difference between the different Actions might be the argument(s) to the command to be executed. For example
rss.png
rss.png (101.23 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
In this case, the only difference between the actions would be the argument to the dcontrol command (Eg. on, off, toggle or status) but 4 Action Groups would be required.

So, for the case noted above and just basic simplicity for the user, I would like to request the Virtual On/Off device configuration dialog allow an option for each of the 4 functions to specify the action in the dialog rather than a pointer to an Action Group. If this were the case, all that would be required for a Virtual on/off switch would be the virtual device itself, and, if needed, a status variable. That would be easier to create and maintain. In fact, if the dialog offered an option to create the variable on-the-fly, the entire virtual device could be created and configured in one dialog.

Posted on
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:51 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Enhancement to Virtual Devices

Thanks for the request – we'll add it to the wish list for virtual devices.

Posted on
Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:36 am
andersatsense offline

+1 on this feature request. This would be a great improvement and I must say I think it is strange that it is not already there..

Posted on
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:44 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

This was the original intention of the virtual on/off device. We released it with the Action Group execution model, but we intentionally architected it to allow for other execution models, including shell scripts. The demand has been relatively low so it's never made it to the top of the list but it's definitely something that I want to do someday.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1