No LG TV plugin?

Posted on
Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:20 pm
kennybroh offline

No LG TV plugin?

I have several LG TVs and am really surprised that apparently there is no plugin to control them. Considering how popular they are I would have thought someone would have written something.

BTW, I can't be entirely sure there is nothing available, because the search engine on this website won't allow me to search for LG....

Posted on
Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:30 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: No LG TV plugin?

Get a Harmony Hub remote and use the Harmony plugin. ;)

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:47 pm
kennybroh offline

Isn't that IR? I have several LGs in different parts of the house and if it's IR based I assume I'd need hardware in each place. In at least one case, the nature of the installation of the TV is such that I couldn't have an IR receiver,

LG has an iPhone app which controls the TV via wifi, so I assume it is some variation of ip commands. That's what I'd hope to have.
T

Posted on
Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:50 pm
howartp offline

kennybroh wrote:
LG has an iPhone app which controls the TV via wifi, so I assume it is some variation of ip commands. That's what I'd hope to have.

Ooh, i'm gonna have to play at work if that's the case - we have about 10 LG's around various buildings!

Posted on
Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:53 pm
FlyingDiver offline

kennybroh wrote:
Isn't that IR? I have several LGs in different parts of the house and if it's IR based I assume I'd need hardware in each place. In at least one case, the nature of the installation of the TV is such that I couldn't have an IR receiver,

T

That was mostly a joke. It's a way to control an LG with currently available plugins. You didn't mention the remote room requirements, etc.

I have one LG TV, but I think it's too old for any of the current control methods.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:56 pm
kennybroh offline

It's called LG TV Plus.

Each TV on the network will show up in a list and you can select the one you want to control. Exposes pretty much everything you'd want to do.

Posted on
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:41 pm
DaveL17 offline

kennybroh wrote:
BTW, I can't be entirely sure there is nothing available, because the search engine on this website won't allow me to search for LG....

Google is happy to index the forums to 2 characters. Try searching for "LG TV Plus site:indigodomo.com". But you will be disappointed with the results. :D

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:43 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Plugins are generally based on a need that a given plugin developer has. If nobody has a need for a particular device/technology, then it follows that there's not likely a plugin (or other solution). The other thing might be that there's no API available for the public to use for integrations, or that any library/module is based on reverse engineering which might break a plugin at any time and therefore the developer doesn't feel comfortable with the risk involved.

In this case, my guess is that none of our developers have found the need yet. I bet you could convince one of the developers to build a plugin if you gave them one (to develop and test with and of course keep as reward for all their hard work)!! :wink: :lol:

Here's a potential head start for any developer interested in looking into this. Unclear if it works in Python 2 though it's based on a different library that does.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1