Control Pages - Global device edit

Posted on
Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:35 am
autolog offline

Control Pages - Global device edit

New day, new feature request. :D

It would be extremely useful and be a major timesaver if the following feature request could be implemented.

I have a number of control pages that reflect individual Indigo devices e.g. thermostats, audio devices (Squeezebox, Roon) etc.

It would speed up editing control pages enormously if you once you have created a Control Page with various states for an individual device displayed, if when you duplicate the Control Page, you could then edit the duplicated Control Page and do a global edit changing all occurrences of Indigo Device (Original) to Indigo Device (New). At the moment you have to edit each state and change the device which can be error prone. :wink:

TIA for considering. :)

Posted on
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:09 am
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Control Pages - Global device edit

I am pretty sure I accomplished this with a little legwork... you can drag all the elements out to create a file, then open that file in a text editor and search/replace the device ID, then drop it back onto a new page. I am almost positive I did that when setting up several sets of controls for speakers where in the page was identical save the speaker being controlled.

Adam

Posted on
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:12 am
autolog offline

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll give it a go and report back. :)

Posted on
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:23 am
autolog offline

Yes - It works - excellent tip! :D

Not as user-friendly as my feature request but a thousand times quicker than what I was doing; so thanks again. :)

Posted on
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:08 am
mundmc offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
I am pretty sure I accomplished this with a little legwork... you can drag all the elements out to create a file, then open that file in a text editor and search/replace the device ID, then drop it back onto a new page. I am almost positive I did that when setting up several sets of controls for speakers where in the page was identical save the speaker being controlled.

Adam

You guys both just saved me a LOT of time this weekend!

Posted on
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:06 am
peszko offline

Wow, this would have saved me so much time in the past. Good to know for the future.

Posted on
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:37 pm
durosity offline

RogueProeliator wrote:

Adam

Handy idea.. although I’d still prefer it to be in the control page editor.. I do home automation because I’m lazy, darn it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:59 am
peszko offline

durosity wrote:
I do home automation because I’m lazy, darn it!

Funny how it actually takes a lot of work keeping it running. In my case at least :-) Good i like it.

Posted on
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:37 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

peszko wrote:
Funny how it actually takes a lot of work keeping it running. In my case at least :-) Good i like it.

Only if 1) you're doing your initial install (say the first several months, 2) you're constantly adding/changing stuff or 3) your equipment is failing.

We have quite a few users who will go months to years between making any changes. We just had an email from a user whose Mac just failed - it had been running Indigo 4 for almost 10 years without them touching it.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:15 am
DaveL17 offline

jay (support) wrote:
Only if 1) you're doing your initial install (say the first several months, 2) you're constantly adding/changing stuff or 3) your equipment is failing.

We have quite a few users who will go months to years between making any changes. We just had an email from a user whose Mac just failed - it had been running Indigo 4 for almost 10 years without them touching it.

+1

I change something pert near every day--because it's entertainment for me. That, and I can't stop thinking of new things to do.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:37 am
durosity offline

jay (support) wrote:

Well it’s not quite as impressive but in the last 18 months or so I’ve had barely any time to work on my HA system and it’s remained very stable.. which is why I use Indigo :)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:30 pm
Dual offline

DaveL17 wrote:
I change something pert near every day--because it's entertainment for me. That, and I can't stop thinking of new things to do.

+1
My name is John and I am an Indigoholic.

Page 1 of 1