Indigo Touch native push

Posted on
Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:05 pm
gt3mike offline

Indigo Touch native push

Has any consideration been given to adding push support to Indigo Touch? On an iPhone at least, that could open the door to direct invocation of Indigo Actions from the push notification itself, rather than having to call Indigo Touch and open a control page from the notification (and then needing to interact with the control page). These actions could potentially be invoked from a notification on the lock screen of an iOS device without having to unlock the phone first.

An example use case could be a situation where Indigo pushes a notification to the device when the device is detected away from the home but the home alarm is not armed. The notification could be configured to give the user the option of arming the alarm with a long press and a tap right from the notification.

Posted on
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:53 am
gillekes offline

Re: Indigo Touch native push

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:40 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

It's on the request list.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:29 am
agame offline

And of course if the app is to be a truly comprehensive iOS automation app it should really enable 'native' control of 'native' HomeKit devices.
And whilst there's not yet the possibility of 3rd party HomeKit apps on the Mac, there is a lot of buzz around other fora about how far away this is.

Posted on
Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:17 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

agame wrote:
And of course if the app is to be a truly comprehensive iOS automation app it should really enable 'native' control of 'native' HomeKit devices.

This won't happen. Indigo Touch is a client for Indigo, not for HomeKit.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:26 am
durosity offline

agame wrote:
And whilst there's not yet the possibility of 3rd party HomeKit apps on the Mac, there is a lot of buzz around other fora about how far away this is.

There’s no real need for that anyway IMO.. if you want HomeKit support install the awesome HomeKit Bridge to add your indigo devices to HomeKit.

On the indigo touch side of things I’d love to see it getting split into two apps.. one which effectively acts like w mini client with the ability to modify devices, sync z-wave, write scripts, etc and have another one like indigo touch but much simplified for average users to access..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:12 am
kwijibo007 offline

durosity wrote:
On the indigo touch side of things I’d love to see it getting split into two apps.. one which effectively acts like w mini client with the ability to modify devices, sync z-wave, write scripts, etc and have another one like indigo touch but much simplified for average users to access..

+1

The mini client could be a paid app while the simple client could remain free.

Posted on
Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:54 am
siclark offline

+1
Would happily pay for an iOS app that I can edit and turn on/off schedules and action groups, and interact with devices in more detail etc.

No idea what the user base of indigo is but guessing if lots pay $10 for the app, its not enough to pay to hire an iOS dev to work alongside Matt & Jay?

Scripting would be useful, but if I need to edit on the move, I use pythonista and have that sync back to the mac icloud folder where the server runs the scripts from.

Posted on
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:05 pm
agame offline

There’s no real need for that anyway IMO.. if you want HomeKit support install the awesome HomeKit Bridge to add your indigo devices to HomeKit.

I disagree. HomeKit Bridge is certainly awesome but it doesn't allow for control of native HomeKit devices - its a completely different beast allowing non-HomeKit devices to masquerade as such. Not all HomeKit devices are capable of direct Indigo integration (or have suitable alternative).

Yes a degree of indirect integration can be kludged by creating various virtual devices and linking with scenes and automations, however in a perfect world, this could be avoided.

Posted on
Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:15 am
durosity offline

agame wrote:

I disagree. HomeKit Bridge is certainly awesome but it doesn't allow for control of native HomeKit devices - its a completely different beast allowing non-HomeKit devices to masquerade as such. Not all HomeKit devices are capable of direct Indigo integration (or have suitable alternative).

Yes a degree of indirect integration can be kludged by creating various virtual devices and linking with scenes and automations, however in a perfect world, this could be avoided.

Ah so you’re wanting an app that effectively reads HomeKit device status on your phone and feeds that information into Indigo to create a bridge between native HomeKit devices?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:28 am
agame offline

durosity wrote:

Ah so you’re wanting an app that effectively reads HomeKit device status on your phone and feeds that information into Indigo to create a bridge between native HomeKit devices?

Well yes I guess that would be the effect (and potentially Mac-based rather than phone-based)..

To background for those not yet immersed in HomeKit, if you have any 'native' HomeKit devices you will have seen that their once 'vertical' / walled garden apps now have visibility of ALL HomeKit devices (including those published through HomeKit Bridge / Indigo), and are peers with Apple's Home app in the ecosystem. [At least this is true of more mainstream brands with 'ecosystem' ambitions']. Ideally, a home automation app, such as 'indigo, could position similarly...conceptually it's not much different to bridging z-wave or Insteon (whatever the hell that is - I'm not in the US).

[yes there are also complexities and ambiguities that would ensue, such as the ability to create identical scenes or automations either in indigo or in HomeKit...its already the case to so though].

Of course from an Indigo perspective it makes limited sense doing this with an iPhone app, but there's a lot of buzz about 3rd party HomeKit control apps being ported to the Mac. No, not possible today, but other forums are rife with speculation on the potential timing.

There may be loads of practical and financial reasons why this is hard to achieve [and potentially deadly Apple certification issues?]...but arguably a Mac-centric home automation app that only aspires to address half the HomeKit equation .....[yes assuming it remains Mac-centric]...is not fully embracing the potential of the platform.

Posted on
Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:58 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

agame wrote:
To background for those not yet immersed in HomeKit, if you have any 'native' HomeKit devices you will have seen that their once 'vertical' / walled garden apps now have visibility of ALL HomeKit devices (including those published through HomeKit Bridge / Indigo), and are peers with Apple's Home app in the ecosystem. [At least this is true of more mainstream brands with 'ecosystem' ambitions']. Ideally, a home automation app, such as 'indigo, could position similarly...conceptually it's not much different to bridging z-wave or Insteon (whatever the hell that is - I'm not in the US).

[yes there are also complexities and ambiguities that would ensue, such as the ability to create identical scenes or automations either in indigo or in HomeKit...its already the case to so though].

Of course from an Indigo perspective it makes limited sense doing this with an iPhone app, but there's a lot of buzz about 3rd party HomeKit control apps being ported to the Mac. No, not possible today, but other forums are rife with speculation on the potential timing.

There may be loads of practical and financial reasons why this is hard to achieve [and potentially deadly Apple certification issues?]...but arguably a Mac-centric home automation app that only aspires to address half the HomeKit equation .....[yes assuming it remains Mac-centric]...is not fully embracing the potential of the platform.

We've said this for many years: if Apple releases an SDK for the Mac (i.e. licenses so called "software bridges") that would allow Indigo to talk to HomeKit devices, we would certainly be interested in that. That is synonymous with how Z-Wave, Insteon, and all the plugins work now. We periodically ping Apple about this and the answer is always a firm NO.

I expect if we attempted to use Indigo Touch as a "trojan horse" into the HomeKit ecosystem by attempting to channel HomeKit status through it (if it's even possible, which I doubt) would result in Apple pulling the app (and it's quite unlikely that we could control devices that way since IT would have to be the front app all the time and the iOS device awake). And we certainly have plenty of stuff on the feature request list to integrate things that want to be integrated into other systems that diverting attention to a possible hackaround that probably won't work would be an utter waste of time.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:12 pm
durosity offline

jay (support) wrote:
agame wrote:

We've said this for many years: if Apple releases an SDK for the Mac (i.e. licenses so called "software bridges") that would allow Indigo to talk to HomeKit devices, we would certainly be interested in that. That is synonymous with how Z-Wave, Insteon, and all the plugins work now. We periodically ping Apple about this and the answer is always a firm NO.

I expect if we attempted to use Indigo Touch as a "trojan horse" into the HomeKit ecosystem by attempting to channel HomeKit status through it (if it's even possible, which I doubt) would result in Apple pulling the app (and it's quite unlikely that we could control devices that way since IT would have to be the front app all the time and the iOS device awake). And we certainly have plenty of stuff on the feature request list to integrate things that want to be integrated into other systems that diverting attention to a possible hackaround that probably won't work would be an utter waste of time.

Yeah that’s pretty much my thoughts on the topic. That said perhaps some enterprising plugin developer might try to do something with the Home app on the Mac to allow a sudo connection between the two. Which would be handy I suppose.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:32 pm
gt3mike offline

All I (the OP) was asking for was support for push in Indigo Touch on iOS devices. Sounds like it's on the list. :D

Page 1 of 1