Paid Plugins

Posted on
Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:24 am
durosity offline

Re: Paid Plugins

A much better plan would be for us to just chain up all the plugin developers in Jays basement and make them work 20 hour days and be fed just mouldy bread and water.

Kinda sounds like my job really.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:23 am
kw123 offline

Only 20 hours a day. That's 4 hours less than now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:41 am
durosity offline

I’m a caring and benevolent dictator.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:25 am
bschollnick2 offline

jay (support) wrote:
We've asked the developers several times about paid plugins - and probably 95% said they weren't interested. We want to make finding, downloading, and updating plugins better in future releases, and when we do that we'll likely make it easy for people to donate to developers (if they choose), but the majority of them have expressed no interest in "paid" plugins (most citing @howartp's logic above). We'll continue to ask however.

+1 to Terry's post also

Personally, I'd like to see more of an indigo plugin store. Where the plugins can be free, or if the developer would like, a *reasonable* fee would be accepted.

But that's my 2Cents...

------
My Plugins for Indigo (v4, v5, and v6) - http://bit.ly/U8XxPG

Security Script for v4 - http://bit.ly/QTgclf
for v5 - http://bit.ly/T6WBKu

Support Forum(s) - http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/userforum/viewforum.php?f=33

Posted on
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:33 am
george99 offline

That’s exactly what I had in mind.
Some people can make a business out of it too. It can incentivize development.
Obviously some just do it as a hobby and don’t want to charge, and that’s fine too. But give the option.
A centralized App Store would make things much easier, and I think make Indigo a more attractive solution.

Posted on
Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:34 pm
berkinet offline

I can't speak for anybody else. But, when I write a plugin, it is to solve some particular need I have at the moment. I share it in the hope that other people can benefit from what I've built for myself. But, I have no interest in developing call for profit. Given that indigo already addresses the major HA needs in the core product. plugins are really only necessary for technologies that affect at best a large majority of indigo users. So,it is really unlikely that there would ever be a profit from writing plug-ins for indigo .

On the other hand, while income is limited by the nature of the business, obligation and commitment are unlimited. To be honest, I try to give the same level of response to my plugins that I would if I were to charge for them. But, at least I have the option to wait a day or two if I want. I don't think I could do that if I charged for my work.

Posted on
Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:39 pm
howartp offline

Having said I wouldn't offer paid option for my plugins, that doesn't mean I'm against a plugin store - I'd love one where folk can easily search, download and update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:44 pm
berkinet offline

howartp wrote:
Having said I wouldn't offer paid option for my plugins, that doesn't mean I'm against a plugin store - I'd love one where folk can easily search, download and update.

Yes, I agree 100%

Posted on
Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:55 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

jay (support) wrote:
We want to make finding, downloading, and updating plugins better in future releases, and when we do that we'll likely make it easy for people to donate to developers (if they choose)

I'm glad we're all in agreement... :D

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:13 pm
CraigM offline

My biggest fear being an Indigo user is relying on one of the many great plug-ins and having them not work anymore because of an OS or Indigo update.

* As a side note. I'm considering upgrading from 10.10 to 10.12, but I use a critical Automator Task application to sync my iOS devices via wi-fi [Apples solution never worked]. Since Apple is killing Applescript does anyone know the fate of Automator? Does Automator work in 10.12 ?

Posted on
Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:52 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

CraigM wrote:
My biggest fear being an Indigo user is relying on one of the many great plug-ins and having them not work anymore because of an OS or Indigo update.

It's a calculated risk. We will certainly try our best not to break any plugins of course, but there may be some point in the future where we can't keep backwards compatibility for some reason. I encourage all developers to put their plugins up on Github (open source them) so that at least there would be a chance of getting something fixed by someone even if the original developer isn't around any more.

CraigM wrote:
* As a side note. I'm considering upgrading from 10.10 to 10.12, but I use a critical Automator Task application to sync my iOS devices via wi-fi [Apples solution never worked]. Since Apple is killing Applescript does anyone know the fate of Automator? Does Automator work in 10.12 ?

Apple hasn't officially declared AppleScript dead - it's just that their actions don't seem to bode well for it's future. I don't personally use Automator, but it's still present in 10.12. Don't know if your task will work of course, but if it's built only using Apple's automator components it will probably work (famous last words).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:45 pm
durosity offline

@CraigM out of interest what is it you do via AppleScript that doesn’t work via apples own functionality? Also be aware the latest version of iTunes that also works on older versions of macOS have removed a lot of legacy syncing functionality.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:23 pm
CraigM offline

durosity wrote:
@CraigM out of interest what is it you do via AppleScript that doesn’t work via apples own functionality? Also be aware the latest version of iTunes that also works on older versions of macOS have removed a lot of legacy syncing functionality.

Sync via Wi-Fi has never worked as designed and Apple refused to fix it [they just want everyone to use the cloud] So I created a ridiculously complex Automator task that can work off a schedule or manually. It's a HACK, but it works.

Your other statement is what worries me. Since syncing goes through iTunes, does 10.12 iTunes still allow Wi-Fi syncing?

Posted on
Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:36 pm
george99 offline

I didn’t know anybody actually synced anymore.

Posted on
Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:51 am
durosity offline

I believe it does but I believe things like the App Store has been removed.

Computer says no.