Possibly stupid question regarding Refreshing URLs

Posted on
Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:59 am
johnpolasek offline

Possibly stupid question regarding Refreshing URLs

Over the years I have acquired several different brands of online video cameras; Linksys, Smarthome, Vista, Panasonic, Ubiquiti, and a couple of off brands that I can't recall at the moment. ALL of them usually require some form of login credentials in a browser before proceeding to display the https:... URL address that shows the image. And since I have no t been successful in figuring out how to set up these credentials in any of the cameras I have access to, I haven't been able to embed any video images into Indigo. However, they all also have an option to enable "RTSP" support which when given the appropriate GUID in the address line, displays the video with no credentials required in a program called VLC with no further credentials required, which allows me to page through the cameras I have around the house one by one. Since this rtsp: protocol appears to be universal and fairly common in IP enabled video cameras, are there any plans (or some major impediment) to adding it to Indigo?

Posted on
Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:58 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Possibly stupid question regarding Refreshing URLs

Short answer is no. The primary reason (but by no means the only reason) is that the Indigo Reflector service, which allows connection to your system from the internet, won't handle the bandwidth from live streams. We don't think that limiting streaming video to the local network would be a particularly useful feature.

Have you tried embedding the login credentials on the URL line:

Code: Select all
https://user:password@hostname/path/to/image

If they use HTTP basic authentication then that should work. If not, what kind of authentication are they using?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:01 am
johnpolasek offline

Thanks for the reply; I suspected it might be something bandwidth or processor resource related. I have no idea what authentication protocol (or even if the various cameras all use the same one; I will try the standard authentication on the ones that I can, but at least one of them wants an email for the user name, and that's a problem (unless it accepts quotation marks around the user name.

Posted on
Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:21 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You can also check to see if SecuritySpy supports those cameras - it can then publish a image URL that you can hit. You can also use the 3rd party SecuritySpy plugin to control and get events into Indigo.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1