[ANSWERED]: Multiple button Z-Wave device UI

Posted on
Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:44 am
jmdraper offline

[ANSWERED]: Multiple button Z-Wave device UI

I am currently using quite a few multiple button Z-Wave devices - like the Aeon 4 button remote and various 2-button battery wall switches I use these to trigger various action groups and devices. At the moment, working with these is a bit 'clunky'. I end up having a lot of triggers - trigger for on and trigger for off for each button. Then I find that some people tend to press the button for too long which the device interprets as 'held' rather than pressed and then they complain my automation doesn't work, so I add triggers for each button held as well. It all adds up to quite a lot of triggers.

Now I know I could write a script for each device triggered off 'any command' received, but I personally prefer to avoid using custom scripts in triggers where I can because I prefer to be able to clearly read how a device works in the UI for ease of tweaking and debugging later without having to read through code.

So, I'm considering trying to write my first ever plugin to add a device type for a multi-button Z-Wave device to try to make this neater and easier in the UI. I have 2 questions first:

1) Am I missing some other easier way of doing this (other than writing a script and triggering it off 'any z-wave command', which is basically what I intend to do but with a device UI)?
2) Is this already planned in some relatively near-term release, Matt or Jay?

If the answers to the above are both no, then I think I will have a go. I'm not a proficient coder by any stretch but am hoping that is would be a good little starter project for my first attempt at a plugin.

Posted on
Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:56 am
howartp offline

Re: Multiple button Z-Wave device UI

Good idea, if Matt/Jay aren't already on it. I suspect, given their attention to some of the multi-button device threads here, that Indigo 7 will indeed have new UI for this.

Problem is, we won't know how long away Indigo 7 is until the Beta is launched, and there's no rumours of that yet.

I reckon they'll want it out for Christmas, but no date will ever be published until they're sure everything is as stable as can be.

Have you seen the Virtual Group Trigger plugin - I've not looked at it recently so can't remember if it will help in some way (for now) or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:32 am
jmdraper offline

Thanks howartp - the virtual group trigger plugin does sound interesting but I couldn't find any mention of it with a quick search of the forums?

Yes this seems like a fairly straightforward additional feature, since it's basically an extension of the existing Virtual Device concept to extend beyond a single on/off device. I might look into a plugin anyway to teach myself how to write them :wink:

Posted on
Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:07 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

There isn't currently a way (via plugins or other) for 3rd parties to add new Z-Wave device support. However, we are working on additional Z-Wave hardware support and hooks for a future version of Indigo. :-)

Posted on
Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:41 am
jmdraper offline

Re: [ANSWERED]: Multiple button Z-Wave device UI

Excellent news - looking forward to it!

Thanks Matt

Posted on
Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:34 pm
howartp offline

Re: [ANSWERED]: Multiple button Z-Wave device UI

viewforum.php?f=22

It's one of Berkinet's but he doesn't index his plugins on the main page of the forum menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1