Integration with Amazon Echo

Posted on
Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:39 pm
johnpolasek offline

Re: Integration with Amazon Echo

roussell wrote:
Maybe I'll sneak into Jay's house and replace all of his Zwave switches with Insteon, taking his PLM and leaving a shiny new hub in it's place.

Terry

Just don't do it till AFTER I7 comes out...

Posted on
Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:27 pm
spiv offline

The Insteon hub works ok side-by-side with Indigo if you don't mind the sync issues. I just use "non-critical" devices (mainly lights) this way and it is easy to deal with.

Don't expect Indigo to integrate with Insteon hub via API. Just an FYI - the official Insteon API's are all cloud based so every command round-trips through the Internet. During the recent botnet fiasco, Insteon emailed this status message. Indigo, of course, continued to run smoothly. Alexa, of course, was also down.
Attachments
insteon down.png
insteon down.png (436.31 KiB) Viewed 5755 times

Posted on
Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:13 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Relying on the cloud is a GREAT IDEA! :D

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:56 pm
roussell offline

I thought they had a local http (REST) API available now. Granted, it's not as good as the old undocumented tcp-based plm in the older version of the hub, and you have to poll, but I did think there was a local. I guess I'll have to pull out #3 and run some tests...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:34 pm
akimball offline

Interesting stuff here. I'm looking at the 2245-222 hub as a toy for experimental purposes for now. I just need voice control to work and I would use the hub for voice control purposes only. No light controls no Apple Watch stuff. I have all that covered perfectly with indigo.

I will still use the Alexa hue plugin for things the 2245-222 can't handle....like maybe fans. My hub arrives Sunday.

-Al

Posted on
Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:46 pm
RogueProeliator offline

So just received my Google Home device... it is interesting in that you tell the device which room it is in as well as able to assign lights from the Hue to specific rooms. I'm curious if you can say "Turn off the ceiling fan" and the device will pick up which room it is in and act accordingly (i.e. what @akimball wanted to do). It definitely only answers in the closest room if multiple devices pick it up - and even phones/tablets that listen for "Ok Google" will defer to home -- you get a message on the phone that says "answering on another device."

I've only played with it for a little bit, but it is better at voice recognition than Alexa and WAAAAAAYYYY better at answering questions. Real test will be to see if it understands my son when he gets home from school - Alexa fails to properly recognize his request at least half the time.

Only issue thus far is that it isn't seeing the Alexa-Hue Bridge to connect my Indigo-connected devices. I'll debug that later tonight.

Posted on
Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:00 pm
durosity offline

Integration with Amazon Echo

The real test will be if it works with Scottish accents. Och aye the noo!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:01 pm
johnpolasek offline

VOLUNTARILY sharing your every word at home with a global consortium that makes it's living by sharing data through the cloud and has awesome voice recognition capabilities ... another GREAT idea. Not that *I* have any corporate or government secrets to spill (as with the cloud based camera at the barn, however many man hours the Chinese want to waste watching the horses finish their grain is time they're not able to use for real espionage), but for those of you who do (or are planning anything the FBI or NSA wouldn't approve of), a word to the wise :wink:

Posted on
Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:35 pm
RogueProeliator offline

VOLUNTARILY sharing your every word at home with a global consortium that makes it's living by sharing data through the cloud and has awesome voice recognition capabilities ... another GREAT idea.

You DO realize that this works the exact same as using Google Now on an Android phone, right? It only records and processes words after hearing the recognition words... the same as Alexa. This is no different than Alexa, really, as Amazon is CLEARLY using my data and sharing it with others. After a search for some information on a product by my wife, suddenly I get Facebook ads for that product (Alexa is tied to my Amazon).

Incidentally, I can actually login to my Google account and delete or turn off collection of my voice data and searches... I don't think I can do that with Alexa, at least not that I have seen.

Posted on
Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:51 pm
johnpolasek offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
You DO realize that this works the exact same as using Google Now on an Android phone, right? It only records and processes words after hearing the recognition words... the same as Alexa.

And Siri on the IPhone... As I said, I don't care if somebody; hacker, feds or corporation; backdoors the software to make the "recognition phrase" = any sound, any more than I give a rip if they turn on the webcam in my phone or laptop. But I'm SURE it's giving a lot of security departments heartburn thinking about it.

And the advertisers are already targeting me with popups based on which embedded keywords I mouse over accidentally in the news articles I read, so what's the diff if they cherrypick their product names out of my conversations?

Posted on
Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:13 pm
RogueProeliator offline

And Siri on the IPhone... As I said, I don't care if somebody; hacker, feds or corporation; backdoors the software to make the "recognition phrase" = any sound, any more than I give a rip if they turn on the webcam in my phone or laptop. But I'm SURE it's giving a lot of security departments heartburn thinking about it.

Really, it can be said for just about anything... to my knowledge there hasn't been a major security breach with Google Now, Siri, or Echo. However, there have been with multiple IP cameras - both standard and the baby-cam style ones. As well as the computer built-in web cams. I don't think we can get away from the risk!

Posted on
Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:11 pm
durosity offline

Strangely I think I'm less worried about someone gaining access to my video feeds than I am to google listening to my conversations. But then again I don't think anyone would want to see me walking around half dressed looking for my keys in the morning.. but then I can see google starting to sell adverts to me for Tiles after me shouting about where my keys are to my wife!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:52 pm
Brady offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
Only issue thus far is that it isn't seeing the Alexa-Hue Bridge to connect my Indigo-connected devices. I'll debug that later tonight.

https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge/issues/216

Looks like home assistant folks have had some luck when they set up their plug in to run on port 80. I guess that is the default that Hue hubs use. I've never poked around in the Alexa-Hue Bridge plug in settings... not sure if we have the option of selecting our port.

Posted on
Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:10 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Looks like home assistant folks have had some luck when they set up their plug in to run on port 80. I guess that is the default that Hue hubs use. I've never poked around in the Alexa-Hue Bridge plug in settings... not sure if we have the option of selecting our port.

Hmm, I have things running on Port 80 - the standard web server... but I'll take a look and see what might can be done. Thanks for the pointer.

Posted on
Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:38 pm
RAID5 offline

Hi
Does this ASKindigo thing work or is it a abandoned project?
Is there maby another alternative?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

RAID5 "A happy Swede addicted to automation"