Thread Hardware on the Horizon

Posted on
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:04 pm
boisy offline

Thread Hardware on the Horizon

It looks like Thread hardware is finally coming, starting with this Aeotech Z-Stick 7.

With this hardware being available soon and a personal investment in Thread devices for my home, I am really anxious to see support for this in Indigo.

Posted on
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:38 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Thread Hardware on the Horizon

Note that Thread is a transport (network) protocol, not an application-level technology. Matter is the latter, and can be used over Thread as well as WiFi (TCP/IP). We're watching how Matter is progressing, but our first implementation would most likely focus on IP since that is built-in to every Mac and doesn't require a dongle.

I suppose it's possible that devices like the afore mentioned Aeotec Z-Stick would be delivered with drivers which would make Thread available via the same network interfaces that apps use to access WiFi/Ethernet, then maybe it would just work, but since there's no information it's hard to see.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:42 pm
Venicenerd offline

Hi Jay! Will you also make Indigo itself available as a matter hub? That way the community can bridge any accessories inside of Indigo (Insteon devices, for example) to Home Assistant. I would really love to see thorough matter support so we can finally mix and match as we see fit. :)

Posted on
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:22 pm
Venicenerd offline

Hey Jay, just pinging you again on this. Do you have plans to integrate Matter into Indigo so that all of its devices can easily be bridged into other Matter compatible platforms? I'm really hoping that Indigo will become my Matter Insteon Hub. Like Hue is my lightbulb hub. This would make my automation life so much better!

Posted on
Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:52 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Nothing new to announce, but we continue to watch and research it. It looks promising but it will still be a while if/when we add support to Indigo for it.

Page 1 of 1