Indigo Touch pushing location to Indigo server

Posted on
Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:06 pm
brianlloyd offline

Indigo Touch pushing location to Indigo server

I looked at the feature requests but couldn't find a request to push location from location services to the server.

For a long time I have wanted a way for Indigo to know where I am so that many of the things I want to happen based on my motion to/from my house or even within my house, would generate appropriate triggers. The idea would be to use location services in iOS to keep the server updated as to iOS device location. Since I am pretty good at keeping my phone with me, this MIGHT be the start of geolocation of individuals who use the system.

Of course, I really want medium resolution of position within my house so Indigo could Do The Right Thing as my guests and I move about my house. Not sure what technology would allow that tho'. RFID in door frames is a maybe but you still need to HAVE something. Cameras with person identification would be nice at some point. May I have that please? 8)

Posted on
Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:04 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo Touch pushing location to Indigo server

Location services is on the IT list.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:19 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

[MODERATOR NOTE] I've split off all the discussion about using HomeKit bridge for location into a separate topic in the HomeKit Bridge forum.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:47 am
JaceJenkins offline

The way I do this today is using Life360 for iOS (Free Version). I create locations with GeoFences around them.

To get the information into indigo I use IFFT with Life360 and a Web call to https://www.indigodomo.com/pluginstore/62/ (HttpD pluggin)

The HTTPD Plugin modifies variables that you can trigger off of. Works good. I would say its 99% reliable with only sometimes there being a delay in detecting whether we are home are away. Also, the reaction time is pretty good around 10-30 seconds to a change in location.

Posted on
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:54 am
mundmc offline

That’s my personal backup using IFFT and HTTPd- but the hassle of setting up accounts for my wife and mother-in-law made it laborious for the whole family.

Posted on
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:29 am
jltnol offline

my 2¢'s worth:

I've been using Geofency and the Beacon plugin.

I think this sends location info from my phone directly to Indigo at home without having to go thur someone else's server. The iOS app was free as I recall, or a modest cost at best. I've got 3 geo-fences setup, so this combination works very well for me.

Posted on
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:16 pm
JaceJenkins offline

jltnol wrote:
my 2¢'s worth:

I think this sends location info from my phone directly to Indigo at home without having to go thur someone else's server. The iOS app was free as I recall, or a modest cost at best. I've got 3 geo-fences setup, so this combination works very well for me.

Thanks for the tip. IFTTT has been slow lately (sometimes 30 min) so I decided to try GeoFency. You can couple it with HTTPD as well using HTTP - GET.

Posted on
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:57 pm
mundmc offline

JaceJenkins wrote:
jltnol wrote:
my 2¢'s worth:

Thanks for the tip. IFTTT has been slow lately (sometimes 30 min) so I decided to try GeoFency. You can couple it with HTTPD as well using HTTP - GET.

Wow, old thread!

I have been using Locative https://apps.apple.com/us/app/locative/id725198453 as a backup/validator for Homekit- they tend to fire within seconds/ meters of each other. Lemme know if you need my REST schema to update Indigo variables from it. I THINK they keep your data private. I think.

Posted on
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:38 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I just read an article how Apple is discouraging apps from getting location data when not the active app. Apparently iOS will periodically just throw up that dialog asking you (again) if you want location data to be used always or only when the app is active. Sure feels like Apple is prepping everyone for a time when background location data isn't going to be available... :roll:

We do still have adding geolocation in with Indigo Touch on the to do list, so we haven't abandoned the idea.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:47 pm
mundmc offline

jay (support) wrote:
I just read an article how Apple is discouraging apps from getting location data when not the active app. Apparently iOS will periodically just throw up that dialog asking you (again) if you want location data to be used always or only when the app is active. Sure feels like Apple is prepping everyone for a time when background location data isn't going to be available... :roll:

We do still have adding geolocation in with Indigo Touch on the to do list, so we haven't abandoned the idea.

And I thought those 200 pop-up confirmations were Apple’s due diligence. Sigh

Posted on
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:55 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Google actually implemented this fairly well on the latest versions of Android and it wouldn't surprise me too much if Apple is planning something similar... I don't know that this is mandatory yet, but my understanding is that, basically, in order to request background location you are now supposed to have a visible notification on the notification bar. This gives the user an indication without any kind of direct / intrusive popup. They also now have a limit on how many times per hour that you can request location -- though for things such as mapping and the like as long as you keep the visible notification up you can track it periodically.

Anyway, they are really pushing people to use geofencing which is not a polling-for-location operation and thus is not significantly limited/changed.

I think this is a decent compromise and has definitely improved battery life (and we all know Android users could use all the help we can get with battery life... any help is appreciated!)

Posted on
Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:38 am
Eagleye offline

jay (support) wrote:
Location services is on the IT list.

Jay,

Back in 2018, you wrote that Location Services is on the IT list, I was just wondering how this is progressing. I noticed that it is not listed in the new release.

Posted on
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:57 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I've done some work on it, but the exact feature set list for the next major release of Indigo Touch is still TBD. We'll know more once we ship the next major release of Indigo and I start working on Indigo Touch development again.

Posted on
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:38 pm
durosity offline

I know from the developers at my work that geolocation tracking for 3rd party apps is a right PITA these days due to all the privacy restrictions, with limits on checks and what not, so dont be surprised if that side of things turns in to a world of pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:32 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Funny enough I recently updated Indigo Server from using a really old API to get the macOS location (for sunset/sunrise calculation) to use the newer Core Location framework APIs instead. The previous technique using the old API to get the longitude and latitude was a single line of code. The newer technique? Over 150 lines of code. I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry. :?