Multiple Z-Wave controllers

Posted on
Thu May 28, 2015 2:33 pm
jtodd offline

I know it's been asked before, but I'll put another "+1" in for multiple Z-wave controllers. I would like to have a controller (for example) in each of my distant out-buildings.

I could easily get few Serial-over-Ethernet adapters that allowed me to put additional controllers in my garage, one in my shop, and one in the pool house - I have less than 3ms latency on the ethernet to all those locations but they're all completely out of range even for extenders or other Z-wave hacks. Then I could manage all of those locations from a single Indigo instance. Currently I manage none of them since I don't want the headache or cost or running multiple computers in the various locations. There are quite a few ways to share USB/serial over ethernet, and I won't get into them here. It just matters that Indigo doesn't try to be clever about how to talk to serial ports, and uses the standard interface API so that the various hardware/software shims could be used to stretch the signals out across the network.

Posted on
Thu May 28, 2015 3:07 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Multiple Z-Wave controllers

Thanks for the feedback.

[MODERATOR NOTE] moved to the feature request forum.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:11 pm
hishamk offline

I second this. I think another use case might help support the need for this feature.

I use both 868.4MHz (EU/MENA) and 918.4MHz (US) Z-Wave frequencies. My main frequency and preferred one is obviously the EU, since it's the official frequency and 95% of my nodes use it. So that's controlled by an Aeon Z-Stick controlled by Indigo. However, I was hard pressed to find reliable Z-Wave thermostats and locks in EU frequency so I ended up using Honeywell and Yale respectively, using a US VeraLite via the Vera Bridge. It all works quite well, though I'm hoping that in the future I won't need the VeraLite and simply plug in a US frequency Aeon Z-Stick.

In any case, love the software - great job guys! Keep going.

Posted on
Wed May 15, 2019 1:43 pm
rjsmetal offline

Re: Multiple Z-Wave controllers

this would be the best, I have an out building with Cat-6 cable buried between and have tested extended USB between them and it works great for a second Z-Wave stick just can't have 2 sticks configured in Indigo.

Page 1 of 1