Email Notification "Send to..." Lists

Posted on
Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:50 pm
akimball offline

Email Notification "Send to..." Lists

I would love to be able to make email notification lists in Indigo so that when I write a trigger, I can send it out to different groups of people without having to go through all triggers and change the "Send To..." list. One group would be just me, another would be me and my spouse, other groups would be my kids, etc..

This came up recently when I had to change the notifications on many triggers by going through literally everything in indigo... just to change an email address. But instead, there should be a select button for typing in who to send to as one option (as it is now), and the next option would be send to list with a pull-down menu to select the "send to..." list.

This way I could make a single change to a "Send to..." list and it would affect all triggers globally. I would think this could make maintaining indigo for installations at businesses easier to maintain due to employee turnover too.

Thanks.

-Al

Posted on
Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:46 pm
BassMint offline

Re: Email Notification "Send to..." Lists

this might work. make the address a variable. insert it into your triggers. next time you need to change the address, change the variable.

Posted on
Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:12 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Thanks for the request. Not sure we'd take that exact route (allowing the send email action to get the address from a variable might be a better solution) but we'll add it to the feature request list. Note that if you're using the built-in send email action you might want to consider creating action groups for each of the unique emails - then have the triggers/schedules execute the action group. That would at the very least allow you to put the action groups into a single "Email Actions" folder so when you want to change the address you only have to go to one folder to find them all.

If you're using a script, then BassMint's suggestion is a good one - just pull the email address(es) from variables.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:36 am
akimball offline

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a shot using a variable and script. Will require changing lots of triggers but a one time thing.

-Al

Posted on
Mon May 21, 2018 5:24 am
berkinet offline

4 years ago jay (support) wrote:
Not sure we'd take that exact route (allowing the send email action to get the address from a variable might be a better solution) but we'll add it to the feature request list...

Any progress on this? I assume not since entering %%v:<variable_id>%% sends an email to that literal email address.

So, please consider this a + for the feature.

Posted on
Mon May 21, 2018 9:31 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Honestly, we highly recommend that users use the Better Email plugin for email which I believe would also work for this scenario.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon May 21, 2018 12:27 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Variable substitution works for the To: field in BetterEmail, so that should work for you.

You can also use a template email in your actions and substitute in other variables into the body of the email.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon May 21, 2018 1:41 pm
berkinet offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
Variable substitution works for the To: field in BetterEmail, so that should work for you...

Thanks. I'll give it a try. BTW, the use case is a number of alerts that are sent by email is various circuit breakers trip and are reset in the house. At ties I have to adjust the distribution list so using a variable would make that much easier.

Page 1 of 1