iOS Control Pages and Passwords

Posted on
Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:56 pm
rustyhodge offline

iOS Control Pages and Passwords

I'd like to add control pages to the home screen on my iPhone, but when I do, it always prompts me for a password on opening them.

Are there any good workarounds for this?

Posted on
Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:47 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: iOS Control Pages and Passwords

I'm not seeing the same behavior. I just added an Indigo control page to my home screen (first loaded through Safari to create the shortcut). When I click the shortcut, the page opens without asking for a password.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:34 pm
rustyhodge offline

Do you use iCloud Keychain with your phone and desktop? It seems like if you save the password on the Mac, it will not require it anymore on the phone.

But when I add the control page URL to my wife's phone, it still wants the password. It seems to remember it until the phone is restarted possibly. Not sure how long, but it will remember it for a while. Just not permanently when only accessed on the phone.

Posted on
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:34 pm
rustyhodge offline

Also, I'm still running 7.2, maybe the newer version switched to cookie-based authentication and that's why it works for you?

Posted on
Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:54 am
DaveL17 offline

Hmmm. Not sure. I do use iCloud Keychain with all my devices (and I'm on Indigo 7.4). Also, I only tested when on my LAN; not sure what the result would be when attaching by WAN ( via VPN, etc.)

Posted on
Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:44 pm
McJohn offline

iPhone iOs 16.1

We have the same problem as described in the first post:

At one iPhone all control pages are working perfect with Safari/saved to home screen, without asking for passwords again and again.
(This iPhone has also Indigo Touch installed).
But other users are always asked for the name and password. (It's a business solution).
Tried different solutions:

- http://Username:password@123.456.789.12 ... 0page%20II
(With this one the username and password are gone in the Safari link)
and every time when the user select the saved bookmark at the home screen, 10 seconds a black screen appears and he has to fill in all the credentials again.

- http://123.456.789.123:8176/controlpage ... 0page%20II
same problem and when this link is saved into the iPhone "passwords", only the IP address and port address is saved (also in the keychain of the Mac)

So, is there a solution to save the credentials of an Indigo Control page for use at the iPhone home screen? (without Indigo Touch).

Posted on
Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:58 am
ryanbuckner offline

DaveL17 wrote:
I'm not seeing the same behavior. I just added an Indigo control page to my home screen (first loaded through Safari to create the shortcut). When I click the shortcut, the page opens without asking for a password.

I'm happy to test this ... how do you create an indigo control page as your iPhone homepage?

Posted on
Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:23 pm
McJohn offline

Hi,

I don't know if I understand your question correctly but you can save any Safari page into your iPhone homescreen.
So, in the Indigo case: http://IPnumberIndigoServer:8176/yourcontrolpagename

John

Posted on
Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:36 pm
DaveL17 offline

Yes -- load up the web page you want to use and then select ---> Share ---> Add to Home Screen.

Posted on
Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:08 pm
ryanbuckner offline

DaveL17 wrote:
Yes -- load up the web page you want to use and then select ---> Share ---> Add to Home Screen.

Ah ok it's just a shortcut. I am also prompted for a password when using this. Why not just use the app at this point?

Posted on
Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:02 pm
DaveL17 offline

Honestly, it depends very much on what you're looking to do. The Indigo Touch app works great (I use it all the time). I also use the Home Remote app to add certain Action Groups to my iOS widgets page (the ones I use daily). Home Remote is also capable of supporting Siri shortcuts--but I don't really use that feature too often TBH.

But more to the point, Indigo also comes with a built-in web server and -- if you're so inclined -- you can serve custom content (with or without credentials) that opens up a world of possibilities. The Indigo Web Server (IWS) architecture is quite powerful and a wonderful feature. Here's a sneak peek at a personal project (very much a work in progress) which runs on the Indigo Web Server. It uses a combination of a lot of different tools but essentially runs on HTML and JavaScript (the first two viewed here in macOS Safari, and the third on iOS). This site requires credentials to be entered on first load, but not again after that (unless the cache is deleted).

Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 9.40.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 9.40.02 PM.png (321.83 KiB) Viewed 3281 times

Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 9.44.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 9.44.26 PM.png (186.63 KiB) Viewed 3281 times

IMG_5469.PNG
IMG_5469.PNG (270.98 KiB) Viewed 3281 times

Posted on
Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:56 am
ryanbuckner offline

That makes sense. So you're really using it for the content served from the web server rather than "Control Pages" proper.

Posted on
Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:43 pm
DaveL17 offline

Right. There are several folders under the /Web Assets/ folder -- I place nearly all of my code under the /static/ folder (which requires authentication) and certain select files under the /public/ folder (which doesn't). The latter is used for things like application icons and such.

Page 1 of 1