Control Pages Attributes for Python Control

Posted on
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:05 pm
wlpredrock offline

Control Pages Attributes for Python Control

This is my first post on the forum. I’m a DIY neophyte truly enjoying experimenting with Indigo, Insteon, Z-wave, and the great plugins available to support my devices in my home automation setup.

I spent several years researching DIY software, finally settling on Indigo. I’m glad I did! I use Insteon devices for lighting control and Z-wave devices for controlling window blinds. I built a complete home theater and use Indigo, through a dedicated Mac mini server, to control all the lights, LEDs, Denon AVR, DirecTV DVR, AppleTV (not yet!), Panasonic projector (with a GC iTach IP2SL), and OPPO Blu-ray player. I just finished hard-wiring a complete home audio system which uses the Mac mini as a music server, and Dayton DAX66s (and another GC iTach IP2SL) for source and speaker control.

I have enjoyed using the control pages feature of Indigo to create Indigo Touch controls for the house lights, the theater, and the audio controls. I have plans for many more HA devices and controls.

However, I have discovered that there are limits to what I can do with the current software and plugins. Scripting will solve that so I am learning Python 2.7 so I can really experience the power of Indigo. Eventually, I hope to develop plugins that I can contribute to this forum.

I know the forum is a great place to both ask and answer questions. I will definitely ask when I can’t find the answer. I also hope to answer as well.

So, my first forum question is a simple one: Is there a list of control pages attributes available that I can use with embedded Python snippets to manage my control pages? Specifically, I’m looking for the control pages attribute that works like the BACK control, something like “indigo.controlpages.back(controlpageID)”. Using a variable to input desired control page IDs, I will be able to move BACK using a button (“Return”) on the common control page (Volume) that is accessed by one of six different music sources.

I am looking forward to many future interactions with the DIY enthusiasts who love and use Indigo for their home automation projects.

Posted on
Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:55 am
howartp offline

Re: Control Pages Attributes for Python Control

Welcome!

Any reason why you can't use the "Back to Previous Page" client action within your Volume control page?

Peter

Posted on
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:14 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

+1 on @howartp's post.

To answer your specific question, it's not possible to do control page navigation directly from Python because control pages aren't "live" in that respect. They don't have any mechanism of self-awareness (like JavaScripts on a webpage have access to it's DOM), so there's no concept of an instance of a control page where a python script would have access to it's runtime properties and navigation.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:22 pm
wlpredrock offline

Thanks for the quick responses, Peter and Jay.

To answer your question, Peter, I use the BACK button now. I was just looking for a more obvious approach, i.e., a "Return" button on the control page, for my visiting non-Indigo users.

Jay, I understand your response and continue my learning about Indigo. Thanks for developing great HA software! I am looking forward to the next release.

Posted on
Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:32 pm
howartp offline

wlpredrock wrote:
To answer your question, Peter, I use the BACK button now. I was just looking for a more obvious approach, i.e., a "Return" button on the control page, for my visiting non-Indigo users.

I don’t think you’re following me/us...

When editing your control page, where you set client actions such as ‘go to control page’, there’s an action called ‘back to previous page’ - which you can attach to a button labelled “Return” as you’re asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:41 am
wlpredrock offline

Peter,

Just saw your response. I had previously tried that, but it didn't work. So I assumed you were talking about the control action in the header at the top of each control page as the BACK button. Then, last night (lying in bed where I do my best problem solving!!) I realized that I had been using the Client Action “Replace with Control Page” to advance to my Speakers/Volumes control page from each of the six audio source pages. Then when I associated the “Return” button to the Client Action “Back to Previous Page”, it always took me to the control page list for the device or to some other control page I didn't want. I just assumed that is what it was supposed to do. So lying there and thinking, I decided to try the Client Action “Advance to Control Page” on each of the audio source pages. Now the “Back to Previous Page” client action takes me back to the associated source page. Just like you just said, problem solved!

Trial and error is still a good learning technique for a new guy!! But I really appreciate your help!

Posted on
Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:06 pm
howartp offline

Lying in bed is a great place for problem solving - until you decide to get up and go play with your new idea!

Posted on
Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:16 pm
Dual offline

howartp wrote:
Lying in bed is a great place for problem solving - until you decide to get up and go play with your new idea!

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:58 pm
mundmc offline

Dual wrote:
howartp wrote:

+1

My wife gets soooo angry when she wakes up and I’m tinkering Indigo on my laptop in bed. “It could be way worse stuff on my laptop, honey.” Yeah- that angle did not help.

Welcome to the forums! I am putting a theater in as we speak (7.2.4 atmos, soundproofing, diy speakers, riser for second row, HDR projector, REW fine tuning). I would love to see sone of your Indigo implementations in the theater! I’m researching the Fibraro RGBWW controller at present, but also considering assignable led’s.

Welcome again!

Posted on
Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:41 pm
wlpredrock offline

Your theater sounds very similar to mine!

I use the following plugins for control:

DirecTV DVR Control for my DirecTV HR24 HD-DVR
Cynical Network for IP control of the Denon AVR X6200W, the Oppo BDP-103D, and the Panasonic PT-AE8000U LCD Projector (through an IP2SL Global Cache iTach)

It was fun(??) figuring out the correct coding of the individual IP protocols. I actually was able to duplicate the individual IR remotes for each of the three devices. If you can get the IP control protocols for your devices, the Cynical Network plugin is the way to go!

I use the Denon AVR to control volume for the AppleTV and the xBox. the Cynical Network can see the two devices (connects to both), but I don't have the IP protocols to control them. I will keep working this problem, but I am dealing with Apple and Microsoft.

I would have uploaded my control pages at the Control Pages Pics forum, but it is closed. If you want to see them, send me an e-mail at wlpredrock@att.net. I have pdf, Keynote, and Powerpoint versions.

Posted on
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:37 am
mundmc offline

Oh, the massive Control Page thread was closed, but it was given a proper sub-forum:
Control Page Designs and Images
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... re_type=sf

Definitely share your UI- I really try to make my Control Pages wife acceptable, and I dunno where to start with the theater. I used to use the Cynical ir plugin extensively for controlling Apple TV and other non-ip controllable hardware.

Posted on
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:08 am
wlpredrock offline

I will if I can ever figure out how to post the jpeg images! I guess I have to post them on a host web site. Any suggestions?

Posted on
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:16 am
howartp offline

No, you need the attachments section below post:

Posted on
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:45 am
wlpredrock offline

I just posted them. Thanks.

viewforum.php?f=126
Last edited by wlpredrock on Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:20 am
mat offline

I did exactly this set up last year, two rows of seats with second row raised, 7.4.2, Philips hue etc, star ceiling. I posted the ip codes for Optima projectors somewhere on here, and hopefully soon will have a plugin

One point I have to change - I used generic LEDs controlled with the Fabaro RGB controller and will at some point change them to hue - the colours are a lot more washed out - thats the leds, not the controller.

Late 2018 mini 10.14