Insert "Some text <timestamp>" in to variable (w/ ÅÄÖ)

Posted on
Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:13 pm
DrLove offline

Insert "Some text <timestamp>" in to variable (w/ ÅÄÖ)

Hi, I would like to have a variable updated w/ some text and a timestamp via a trigger.

I use Beacon for presence monitoring and I would like to have a variable that contains some text and a timestamp, like: "John: Left work 17:35" or "Jane: Arrived at home 18:02", can I do this w/ some special character in "set variable to:" or do I have to use a script? New to all this Indigo stuff, used Homeseer for many years and converting to Indigo now. Love everything about Indigo but I need some help to get started :)

PS. Tried using Insert timestamp into variable and used a custom format "Left work: %H:%M" and it works, but I would like to be able to use Swedish characters like ÅÄÖ and the Swedish version of the string is "Lämnade arbetet: %H:%M" and that does not work.
My question is now how to use ÅÄÖ in variables :)

Best regards, L

Love Kull (yes it's my name)
Blog (in Swedish)
Sweden

Posted on
Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:42 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Insert "Some text <timestamp>" in to variable (w/ ÅÄÖ)

You're using that action in an interesting way, by prepending text. I'm actually surprised it works at all. The Python method used to format date strings (used by the Insert Timestamp into Variable action) does not support unicode or extended characters. If you really want extended characters, then you'll need to actually write a script to get the current date, format it as you want, and insert it into a variable.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1