Action Group Triggering an Unrequested Changes

Posted on
Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:52 pm
ticotice offline

Action Group Triggering an Unrequested Changes

Not sure where to ask this question but, since it is related to an Action Group, here goes!

I have an action group–Go To Bed-that turns off interior lights and sets the bedroom lights to dim and starts a delayed action to turn off the porch and exterior house lights. This action group is triggered by a key on an 8-button mini remote (Model 2342-2). This was working beautifully for several years and many Indigo updates. About 1 month ago, I started noticing that when I trigger this action group, my landscape lighting (not in the action group) flashes off and back on 3 or 4 times (not consistent on # of flashes). I've scoured the event logs for any indication of the cause, but there is absolutely nothing to indicate that the plug-in outdoor appliance module (Model 2634) is even receiving or sending anything through Indigo when this disco lighting event occurs. I suspect the outdoor appliance module is failing but want to confirm before replacing it.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Posted on
Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:48 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Action Group Triggering an Unrequested Changes

When lights flash like that, it can indicate that the Insteon device controlling them is having an issue communicating on the Insteon network. In this case, it may think that something else is trying to tell it to do something.

I'd try factory resetting the outdoor module then resyncing and see if that fixes it. You might also want to examine all the Insteon links on both the mini remote and the outdoor module to make sure that a link between them doesn't exist (if there is a link, then Indigo wouldn't report a command being issued to it from the minimote because it's a direct communication and Indigo isn't involved).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:28 pm
ticotice offline

Thanks for the troubleshooting advice. I'll do a factory reset of the outdoor module and check the links to the mini remote. The odd thing is everything have been running perfectly until a few weeks ago. I didn't change anything anywhere on my electrical system ( no new "stuff" or changes to appliances, etc.). Let you know after I try what you suggested.

Posted on
Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:56 pm
ticotice offline

Did a factory reset of the outdoor module in question and re-synced it. Double-checked that I don't have any links to the outdoor module from the mini-remote.

Tried the trigger again but, because it is daylight, I was unable to see any "flashing" of the landscape lights. However, I did get several errors in the log for that action group pertaining to other switches and outlets on my system.

Attached is a screenshot of that section of the log. Not sure if this is indicative of other issues on my system or it is coincidental. Hopefully, the reset will fix it but I have to wait until after dark to properly test it.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-07-05 at 1.46.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-05 at 1.46.28 PM.png (106.8 KiB) Viewed 981 times

Posted on
Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:20 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Interesting - those errors could be causing some Insteon collisions which could in-turn cause other failed Insteon messages. Unclear if it is related to your problem or not, but you probably want to look into those failures.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:31 pm
ticotice offline

Will look into those errors. However, looking back a few days, my Indigo logs don't show any of those errors when executing that action group via the minimote trigger. Yet, I was getting the flashing lights. Could the PLM be dying? :shock:

Posted on
Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:58 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Maybe, but I still suspect something is up with that module. Just to check, select the Interfaces->Insteon->Manage Device Links... menu item, and on the resulting dialog select your outdoor module from the Show links used by device: popup. Take a screen capture of that dialog and post it in a reply.

BTW, there is one more thing that could cause the lights to flash like that - if for some reason it can't communicate with the PowerLinc whenever there's a change (it does that in order to report changes to the PLM). Usually those unsolicited responses only happen when something else (another Insteon device that's linked directly to it) tells it to turn on/off and it needs to report that change to the PowerLinc.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:37 pm
ticotice offline

Sorry for the delayed response. Last night I got the flashing lights again. It flashed 4 separate times with nothing noted in the logs. I also checked the module as you suggested and there are no links listed in t he "Show Links Used by Device " popup. I do have a spare PLM and will install and sync that to my database and check the results tomorrow. I also have a spare outdoor module. I can swap them out after I test the PLM theory.

Really appreciate the help with this very odd condition.

Page 1 of 1