Action Group Creating a Loop

Posted on
Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:18 pm
ryandenver offline

Action Group Creating a Loop

Greetings

I'm looking for guidance on best practices on setting up an Action Group that will set the status of multiple keypads to on/off based upon one keypad being triggered in order to keep the states consistent. What I have setup now, when the Action Group is triggered from one keypad, it causes the entire set of Action Groups to repeat 5X (once for each keypad in the overall scene) which means there is a lot of traffic and if there is a drop in any data signal, it can go into an infinite loop (rare but has happened).

Current Setup
-Action Group 1: Insteon Recessed Can DIN Dimmers
-Action Group 2: Insteon Outlets
-Action Group 2: Keypads

Example: Pressing Key 8 on any keypad in the rooms in question will trigger the lights and outlets to go on/off as well as Key 8 on all of the keypads in the room to sync state with the actual keypad triggered.

Thanks for any insights.

Ryan

Posted on
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:57 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Action Group Creating a Loop

I'm not understanding how you have it setup such that you are seeing the Action Groups repeated 5x.

However, I do have a suggestion that might help. The command to turn on/off individual KeypadLinc LEDs is complex and expensive (requiring slow Insteon extended commands). If you are trying to turn on/off a particular KeypadLinc LED on several different modules at once it is significantly faster (and thus less prone to Insteon collisions and other problems) to use a PowerLinc Group/Scene. A single Group/Scene command can turn on/off the LED on multiple modules at once. Note you will need a unique PowerLinc Group/Scene for each set of LEDs you want to control, and also note each PowerLinc Group/Scene can only control a single LED on a given KeypadLinc (but can target multiple KeypadLincs at a time).

Page 1 of 1