Question on trigger from IPAD battery?

Posted on
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:28 am
norcoscia offline

Re: Question on trigger from IPAD battery?

Wrapping things in aluminum foil will also make a cat decide to do something else :-)

_______
Norm

Posted on
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:42 am
roussell offline

DaveL17 wrote:
roussell wrote:
My cats and dogs used to chew wires and such. I found that rubbing a thin film of solid stick antiperspirant (not deodorant) on the wire/plug/etc. stopped all chewing immediately.

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip Terry. We tried some special stuff that was supposed to discourage this and it didn't work.

I tried the specialty stuff too. The cats and dogs loved it :| The only things I’ve ever found that worked was solid antiperspirant.

Terry

Posted on
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:11 am
DaveL17 offline

roussell wrote:
DaveL17 wrote:
roussell wrote:
My cats and dogs used to chew wires and such. I found that rubbing a thin film of solid stick antiperspirant (not deodorant) on the wire/plug/etc. stopped all chewing immediately.

Terry

Thanks for the tip Terry. We tried some special stuff that was supposed to discourage this and it didn't work.

I tried the specialty stuff too. The cats and dogs loved it :| The only things I’ve ever found that worked was solid antiperspirant.

Terry

Yep — sounds about right.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:18 am
RogueProeliator offline

Our cat would eat that jumper wire in no time flat. He recently developed a taste for the battery back up for our sump pump, and not too long ago caused my TiVo network switch to vomit because of a tasty (ahem) Cat6 cable.

I see you your cat and raise you my bunny... So far we've learned he likes to chew on paper, carpet, mats, wicker, wood, wood furniture, ceramic, Pyrex, metal, glass (how does he think he can get the window in his mouth???), and even bricks. And, of course, wires.

Back to the original post, I wonder if there is some way to aid in dissipating the heat rather than going the route of turning off the charger?

Posted on
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:25 am
norcoscia offline

I dont think heat is a big player - I had an iPhone 3s that did it a long time ago and it was not in a case or enclosed - I just went to the apple store yesterday and they replaced my backup iPhone 6 plus for the cost of a new battery (29 bucks). It was just sitting on my deck in an apple charging stand - the side popped open about a 1/4 inch. That is what got me wondering about the mounted IPAD.

I think the device is supposed to be smart enough to cycle the battery somewhat even if it is on the charger - wish I could just remove the battery from the IPAD - don't need the battery -- it is just a liability :-(

_______
Norm

Posted on
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:49 am
RogueProeliator offline

I dont think heat is a big player - I had an iPhone 3s that did it a long time ago and it was not in a case or enclosed - I just went to the apple store yesterday and they replaced my backup iPhone 6 plus for the cost of a new battery (29 bucks). It was just sitting on my deck in an apple charging stand - the side popped open about a 1/4 inch. That is what got me wondering about the mounted IPAD.

Oh, I gotcha... I thought you were worried about it due to seeing it hot being enclosed, it was just a general always-on-the-charger concern... I bet most devices always on the charger are fine, though no doubt what you describe happens. I had an old MacBook battery swell and had to be removed (luckily, of course, could remove and leave that one plugged in!) But then I have an old iPad (original) that was on the charger for literally years as a controller and never had issue. SO, who knows.

Posted on
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:54 pm
durosity offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
Our cat would eat that jumper wire in no time flat. He recently developed a taste for the battery back up for our sump pump, and not too long ago caused my TiVo network switch to vomit because of a tasty (ahem) Cat6 cable.

I see you your cat and raise you my bunny... So far we've learned he likes to chew on paper, carpet, mats, wicker, wood, wood furniture, ceramic, Pyrex, metal, glass (how does he think he can get the window in his mouth???), and even bricks. And, of course, wires.

Back to the original post, I wonder if there is some way to aid in dissipating the heat rather than going the route of turning off the charger?

I see your bunny and raise you a howartp. Last time he was here he chewed through brick walls and metal like it was nothing. My house collapsed! It was all his fault!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:34 am
McJohn offline

It's a pity that the energy saver settings of the Mac are not available at the iPad.

(Then, with for example a Z-Wave wall switch, at night the power adapter can shut off the power to the iPad and the screen can go to sleep and at morning the Z-Wave switch could switch on and the display of the iPad automatically goes on)
Now the display of the iPad is burning the whole night and we have to switch it manually off and on every evening and every morning-> that's not a good sample of whole Home Automation ;-)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 15.11.15.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 15.11.15.png (110.45 KiB) Viewed 2521 times